Infertile Silkie roo

TreeHugger

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2008
I have silkies & I keep the roos separated from the hens year around. I decided to hatch out some chicks & I put my best looking roo in with 5 of my best looking hens about a month ago. I left them together two weeks before I started gathering eggs. I have had those eggs under my broody silkie eggs since then. When I checked them last night they were all infertile! He has never been sick & appears to be healthy. I've heard that roos can go infertile, but he is only 3 years old & I don't think that is old for a roo. Is there anything I could put in his diet to boost his fertility? Is three old for a roo?

TreeHugger

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2008
TYPO - I have had those eggs under my broody silkie HENS since then.

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
I agree with the two above posts. Same thing is happening with my bantam cochins. I may have to AI her or trim her down. I'm still hoping that I will start getting some fertile ones.

chubbydog811

Songster
11 Years
Dec 24, 2008
New Hampshire
Just out of curiosity....How do you AI a chicken??? Why would you do that in the first place? And wouldn't that be expensive? It's not like a horse where they can do their thing to a block, but for a chicken, wouldn't that be hard to do????
Like I said, just curious...That sounded very weird for a chicken

BaronRenfrew

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
It can be done and its not hard or expensive, you can do it yourself. I've seen it described in a book somewhere. the biggest domestic turkeys are done by AI as the monster whites can go to 50-70 lbs

Mahonri

Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 14, 2008
North Phoenix
My Coop
I've seen semen collected from bulls and stud horses, but never chickens... just wondering how that happens.

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
I have an AI thread detailing step by step instructions, but I haven't a clue where it is. Its rather easy... its basically a rub, rub, rub of the back, and a squeeze at the vent.... I'll see if I can find the thread.

Top Bottom