Infertile Silkie roo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TreeHugger, Mar 15, 2009.

1. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I have silkies & I keep the roos separated from the hens year around. I decided to hatch out some chicks & I put my best looking roo in with 5 of my best looking hens about a month ago. I left them together two weeks before I started gathering eggs. I have had those eggs under my broody silkie eggs since then. When I checked them last night they were all infertile! He has never been sick & appears to be healthy. I've heard that roos can go infertile, but he is only 3 years old & I don't think that is old for a roo. Is there anything I could put in his diet to boost his fertility? Is three old for a roo?

2. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    TYPO - I have had those eggs under my broody silkie HENS since then.

3. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Try trimming the feathers from around the vents on the roo and hens.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It might be that they are too fluffy by their vents. Trim the fluff away from the hens and his vent. That should work if he isnt infertile.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I agree with the two above posts. Same thing is happening with my bantam cochins. I may have to AI her or trim her down. I'm still hoping that I will start getting some fertile ones.

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Try putting him with only three hens as well. If he's young, too many is not good.

7. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Just out of curiosity....How do you AI a chicken??? Why would you do that in the first place? And wouldn't that be expensive? It's not like a horse where they can do their thing to a block, but for a chicken, wouldn't that be hard to do????
    Like I said, just curious...That sounded very weird for a chicken [​IMG]

8. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

It can be done and its not hard or expensive, you can do it yourself. I've seen it described in a book somewhere. the biggest domestic turkeys are done by AI as the monster whites can go to 50-70 lbs

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've seen semen collected from bulls and stud horses, but never chickens... just wondering how that happens.

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I have an AI thread detailing step by step instructions, but I haven't a clue where it is. Its rather easy... its basically a rub, rub, rub of the back, and a squeeze at the vent.... I'll see if I can find the thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by