Infirmary

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tenmore, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Ive seen where several people have mentioned infirmaries for seperating injured chicks? dose anybody have Pics? Please post. Do you put them in the garage or in the coop? how big of one is needed? any Ideas will help. dont need one at the moment. But want to be prepared in the even that I need one. thanks again for all your help [​IMG]

2. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    I usually put my sick younger birds in a terrarium inside the house so I can see them. If it's a bigger, louder bird I will put it in a 3' x 2' wire dog crate in the garage. Ideally I like to have them in areas that I am in several times a day so I can keep checking in on them.

3. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    For a little chick, I put it in a cage hung on the side of the main coop, so I can see it well. With a heat lamp if it isn't feathered.

A grown bird gets a cage on pallets, under the awning.

4. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I have a wire cage from the feed store that folds up and has no bottom as one option, in the garage I have a parrot cage as well as a ferret/rabbit cage. As mentioned you can use dog crates, a dog xpen and for the little ones I use a very large plastic tote with chicken wire on to so they don't fly out. It really depends on what's at hand or the space where you can keep them for doctoring/monitoring. I use the garage, the family room or the barn [​IMG] Keep your eyes on the lookout at garage sales. A friend of mine always gets great cages at sales for almost nothing.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I use a large dog cage and a divided outdoor brooder which is used for sick or injured birds. I am building more small enclosures inside of the coop next to the nest boxes for broodies and those that need to be away from the others. [​IMG] I don't have pics right now.

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Are you familiar with those plastic pet carriers that have a handle on top like a suit case and a wire door in the front that has spring clips? One brand name is 'pet taxi'. Not only did I use this pet carrier to pick up my chickens when I bought them, but I also use it to isolate/monitor/doctor one when I want it separate from the others.

They come apart and the top stacks inside the bottom (or vice versa)-- when you need to store. The bottoms are solid plastic, but I put wood shavings in for bird use. They are readily available at pet stores and at WalMart etc.

You may already have one if you have other pets....and you could repurpose it for chicken use.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  7. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Thanks every one for the ideas......I think ill use a wire care in the run if needed and I do have pet carrier for the dog that will work if I need to keep one inside for doctoring thanks again..

8. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    The main thing to remember is if the bird can transmit something it needs to be isolated outside of the pen and a fair distance to keep the others healthy. Injury isolation or wound dressing then its not a problem.

9. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The door pictured is the coop door and to the left of it is the chicken door. The sickbay as i call it actually sits under my workbench. They have a little run. Nothing fancy but it works. The way its set up now is for new chicks. Ive got a top for the run I can add if they are sick. I also put up a chain link fence a couple of feet away from this run to keep them good and separated is one or 6 were to become sick.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by