1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

inflamation on the breast

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sipsey Chicken, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Sipsey Chicken

Sipsey Chicken New Egg

Jun 27, 2007
    I am new to the board and need your help. I orderd 25 chicks from MMH and they are about 5 weeks old. I recently put them in a run because I need my brooder for another 36 chicks coming tomorrow. My first order consisted of Rhode Island Reds and Brown Leghorns. I went out today and noticed that the all had a very noticeable, hard knot on the right breast. What is wrong?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Are you sure it's not just a full crop?? Does it feel sort of like a bean bag? If it does it just a full crop.

3. Sipsey Chicken

Sipsey Chicken New Egg

Jun 27, 2007
    Is it normally on the right side? I was thinking that was probably it. It seems really large though. Not too much like a bean bag. I felt the knot and it felt really hard. But it' is funny that they all are on the same side. The knot is the size of half a lemon. I will go out and feel right now.

4. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree with Angie, it seems to freak people who are new to chickens out every time. My daughter being one of them. I would worry more if it was only one or two that had it, but it sounds more like you are doing a good job and you have some well fed chickens.

5. Sipsey Chicken

Sipsey Chicken New Egg

Jun 27, 2007
    I am not really that new to chickens. But, I have never brooded any and I never paid close attention to them before. Jusk kind of feed them and gathered the eggs. Now I know most of the breeds and have a new found interest.

I do keep 20% feed and water on them at all times. I ordered 25 and they sent me 27 and I still have all of them. I had them vaccinated for two diseases. They sent me an extra BL rooster and a Pheonix,rooster I think. Tomorrow I get 10 hens and 2 roosters, of each, of Giant Black, Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks.

Anyway, I went back out and it seems that the knots were a lot smaller. They have not eaten in a couple of hours, so I guess that is what it was. Just waiting for something bad to happen, I guess.

I would like to post a picture of my run someday. I will just have to get around to it. My wife and I are expecting a new baby, or third, in a couple of weeks. My coop is constructed of plastic poultry neeting and is electrified like a nuclear power plant. My lab was the first tester. Man, for that small amount of wire, that box packs a punch. The lab won't even go back over there with me.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  6. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Good luck with both chickens and new baby. I hope all goes well for both.

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Sipsey
    When I first felt a full crop on one of girls I didn't know what to think, I completely freaked. I was on Google thinking it could anything from breast blisters to a deformity. It was actually my city boy DH who pointed out to me that they all have it it shrinks by morning and gets bigger after they eat. Doh! [​IMG] How silly did I feel that my DH was the one who figured it out....

Congrats on the new baby and good luck with you chicks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by