Inflamed ear lobe, dry/stuck on dirt or blood along inner flap edge

elleana

Hatching
Jul 8, 2021
Hey everyone,
I'm sorry for posting my question before my introduction. I started typing my introduction and it was taking awhile so I will get back to that, I just really wanted to get this out there so I could get answers as soon as possible. Have absolutely no money for vet right now so just wanted any personalized advice I could find.

I noticed today my 5 month old rooster's, Blossom, ear lobe is super inflamed. I wasn't home yesterday so I am unsure how long it has been like this. I looked up what it could be but I am not too sure because there are lots of differing factors in our case. He had been sneezing a couple days ago (Maybe Monday and Tuesday, I noticed it was odd because there was some snot that got on me after a big sneeze) and then Tuesday night he had a sneezing fit, just soft sneezes and didn't last too long but was a lot more than when he'd sneeze after eating feed. But that was after cleaning all day so I wasn't sure if there was just a bunch of dust in the air or if it was because he had just eaten the seeds from the bottom of our parrots cage (He does that every night tho and usually does not burst into sneezes). So I think it could be a sinus infection, but there is dried blood along the inner lobe flap near his cheek. I think it was blood because I tried cleaning it with warm water and soap and was very difficult to get off (had to stop trying because it was getting more irritated) but what I could get off had a deep reddish hue, not like the orange-reddish dirt in our yard. He is our only chicken. We have cats but they are either scared of him or old and pay no attention so I don't think it would be them.

I also think it could be a fungal infection because my guinea pig currently has one in her ear (white, crusty stuff and her ears aren't inflamed at all). I'm pretty sure I have only cleaned it at night after Blossom is in bed and never actually touch it so I'm not sure how it would spread to him but who knows. I'll try to get better pics later he is eating and making it difficult. But yes any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• tempImageExZEvC.png
    tempImageExZEvC.png
    4 MB · Views: 40
  • tempImageFpNGa1.png
    tempImageFpNGa1.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 7
Hey everyone,
I'm sorry for posting my question before my introduction. I started typing my introduction and it was taking awhile so I will get back to that, I just really wanted to get this out there so I could get answers as soon as possible. Have absolutely no money for vet right now so just wanted any personalized advice I could find.

I noticed today my 5 month old rooster's, Blossom, ear lobe is super inflamed. I wasn't home yesterday so I am unsure how long it has been like this. I looked up what it could be but I am not too sure because there are lots of differing factors in our case. He had been sneezing a couple days ago (Maybe Monday and Tuesday, I noticed it was odd because there was some snot that got on me after a big sneeze) and then Tuesday night he had a sneezing fit, just soft sneezes and didn't last too long but was a lot more than when he'd sneeze after eating feed. But that was after cleaning all day so I wasn't sure if there was just a bunch of dust in the air or if it was because he had just eaten the seeds from the bottom of our parrots cage (He does that every night tho and usually does not burst into sneezes). So I think it could be a sinus infection, but there is dried blood along the inner lobe flap near his cheek. I think it was blood because I tried cleaning it with warm water and soap and was very difficult to get off (had to stop trying because it was getting more irritated) but what I could get off had a deep reddish hue, not like the orange-reddish dirt in our yard. He is our only chicken. We have cats but they are either scared of him or old and pay no attention so I don't think it would be them.

I also think it could be a fungal infection because my guinea pig currently has one in her ear (white, crusty stuff and her ears aren't inflamed at all). I'm pretty sure I have only cleaned it at night after Blossom is in bed and never actually touch it so I'm not sure how it would spread to him but who knows. I'll try to get better pics later he is eating and making it difficult. But yes any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you!
Hmm... I'm not sure but maybe this thread will help instead!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-with-swollen-ear-lobe.636999/

Back
Top Bottom