Inflamed... ear?

Battlepants

Songster
Dec 13, 2021
So, one of my farmstore chicks is looking more and more like a little roo every day. Noticed something a little extra on the head today. It's not quite comb, not quite wattle... ear, maybe? Looks a little battle scarred. There is no doubt a bit of bullying in this flock as this one is one of the 8 newcomers to join a roo and his 4 ladies but things have substantially calmed down in the last week or so for everyone.

20220710_182841.jpg

By comparison, here's the other side. Seeing the same kind of growth, just not inflamed.

20220710_183019.jpg

And a reference picture of the whole chicken perched on my arm. Not seeing any saddle feathers and what appears to be hackles at a glance are actually rounded feathers. Currently ~16 weeks, no crowing attempts. Gets wing danced by the roo and doesn't fight back. No mating attempts have been observed.

20220710_183053.jpg

Edit:
Checked again today and the inflammation is way down. Both ears look about the same now. And comparing this to my RIR, I suspect that this is just the development of the ears combined with a little bullying.

Last edited:
I was going to ask how's it going but see your update.
I agree, it looks like a bit of picking may have been going on.
I'd keep watch on it, but sounds like the swelling is already going down on it's own.

You'll have to ask on the "what is it" forums, but I'm saying pullet at this point. I'm the last person to ask about breeds and genders but, the tail is squarish (not a technical term) and I'd say maybe a New Hampshire (hatchery stock). Could be way off base though.

20220712_073204.jpg

Here's an updated picture. Yea, inflammation and the blood marks are completely gone. Looking more and more like my adults, so I think this might just be a case of a new growth coupled with some bullying.

Back
Top Bottom