Inflamed or Infected Feather Shaft

@Rosita

Hatching
Sep 24, 2018
Northeastern Nevada
Hi folks,
We're relative newcomers to the fun and rewards of backyard chicken raising and have run into an issue we have not been able to identify online. Any insight would be appreciated. Our chicken has an inflamed or perhaps infected wing that started out as minor inflammation of the feather shaft on Sunday that is rapidly getting worse. There is some clear, odorless discharge. The hen is is definitely in distress now. We have tried lancing it with some success, but swelling rapidly returns and increases in size. Right now her wing is getting a warm Epson salt bath. Prior to this she had no issues and has always been a happy camper.
The attached photos show the issue.
Thanks for your time and assistance.

Attachments

• InflamedFeatherShaft_Detail_IMG_3132.JPG
    InflamedFeatherShaft_Detail_IMG_3132.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 73
  • InflamedFeatherShaft_IMG_3131.JPG
    InflamedFeatherShaft_IMG_3131.JPG
    355.8 KB · Views: 43
@Eggcessive ?

I'm sorry your girl is not doing well.
It's hard to know what that is. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Her being in distress is concerning. Since it is increasing in size even with your treatment, then seeking vet care is best.

Welcome to BYC sorry this problem brought you here...she is not going to like it but I think you need to pull the infected feather out if it is indeed infected it should come out fairly readily but make sure you hold the wing firmly with the other hand so you don't injure her you will need an extra pair of hands,then you can try to drain it with a gentle squeezeafter that I would scrub with betadine or a mild soap then apply antibiotic ointment without pain reliever hope she gets to feeling better

Back
Top Bottom