Inflamed shoulder/neck area.

MamaBowman

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2021
Hello, I'm new to chickens, and need some insight for one of my girls. She's a nearly 5 week old Ameraucana. Two days ago I noticed a "lump" near her right shoulder/wing. She wasn't really moving her wing, and I didn't see any sign of injury or trauma, so I thought maybe it was a sprained wing, and tried to limit her activity. Upon closer inspection now, she can move her wing fine, but has a swollen lump under the skin near her neck/shoulder area. Any idea what this could be, or how to treat it? Thank you!

Edit to add - she is eating, drinking, and behaving normally - but I'm worried it's an infection of some sort, or "ingrown feather" if that's a thing (again, I'm new, this could totally not be a thing)

Attachments

• IMG_0431.JPG
    IMG_0431.JPG
    622.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    419.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Welcome To BYC

How is she doing now?
Hard to tell, but looks like there may be a tiny scab? So possible injury?
She's doing about the same. I let them roam a bit yesterday, and she "flew" about 3 feet, so I don't think it's really her wing anymore. I can't tell if maybe her shoulder/neck may just be deformed, and I didn't notice until she feathered out, or if something happened when no one was watching. Thanks for asking!

If it doesn't seem to bother her and there's no obvious scabbing or abscess, then I think I would monitor it. See what happens over the course of a couple of weeks. If it worsens or you notice some symptoms, then let us know.
It's good she's active/eating/drinking!

Back
Top Bottom