Inflamed skin at base of feather shaft on feather footed rooster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BronteBlu, Oct 11, 2009.

1. BronteBlu

BronteBlu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    I just logged on after washing the feet of my rooster who is also getting over Fowl Pox. I noted that the feather shafts at the base nearest the skin are also inflamed. I looked at his feet and it actually looks a little like the pox on his face, although not as bad. Could there be 2 things going on? The pox and mites? *sigh* If it's not one thing it's another!

Will pouring on mineral oil help, as I've read vegetable and olive oil will?

2. CTChick

CTChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Shelton
    One of my new silkies (came from same breeder but different coops) has thick scaly feet but no other problems. I soaked his feet in the sink, in about 3" of warm water and epsom salt. Then I used a toothbrush and scrubbed them really good. I let them dry, and coated with with baby Vik's vapor rub - I really worked it in.

I got all these hints off this site - plan to do soak/scrub/rub twice a week for as long as it takes. I read you can use camphor phenique liquid as a rub, too. Also vaseline or mineral oil. What works best?

Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by