Info about Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bigz1983, Jun 20, 2017.

1. bigz1983

bigz1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2016
    Hey everyone do any of you guys on this forum own any Jersey giant
    chickens?

I have been doing some research on the Jersey giant chicken and read that the breed can't fly. So could low fencing can contain them?

Are they large enough or tuff enough to take on or defend themselves against a hawk?

I was just wondering that if I built a well fenced(but open top)large chicken run/pen that could keep out dogs/coyotes if the Jersey giant could be safe with a open top run?

2. A1Blues

A1Blues Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Hi in our experience with having Jersey Giants since 1977 .... while birds are young and growing they can fly over a 4-5 foot fence since full weight is not yet achieved. Young growing birds can be picked up by a hawk. At maturity the Jersey Giants seem very smart and will run and take shelter if a Hawk is present. They will make an alert sound when this occurs. Jersey Giants take 2-3 yrs to reach full maturity. Our hens at maturity up to 12 pounds with Cocks weighing up to 25 pounds. Hope this helps. Web www.mariasjerseygiants.com

Frazzemrat1 likes this.
  3. bigz1983

Aug 9, 2016
    Thanks for the info that helps alot.

A1Blues likes this.
  4. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    I have a young BJG right now, and she's flying some. Seems to enjoy trying... And due to hawks, I'm planning on covering the top of my run with bird wire. I know that even as an adult, if a hawk struck, it may not be able to take off with her or my brahmas, but they wouldn't be any match for a hawk either...

A1Blues likes this.
  5. A1Blues

Oct 30, 2008
    Indiana
    You are welcome! Maria Hall

bigz1983 likes this.
  6. bigz1983

Aug 9, 2016
    Oh ok. Those hawks are a pain. I'm trying to find a way to have a open top run without worrying about hawks getting my chickens.

I thought maybe if a jersey giant was big enough to defend itself against a hawk then I wouldn't need a top and plus the bonus that it couldn't fly out.

Must be the jersey giants sheer size isn't enough to deter a hawk?

7. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Not always, I've seen hawks go after rabbits bigger than they can carry away. They'll eat as much as they can at that moment and either leave it, or carry it away after they've fed. This is especially in the spring when they're feeding chicks.

As my neighbor's lost their entire flock to owls I'm being quite careful. But I think they had an open air run and coop... I'm not certain.

8. A1Blues

Oct 30, 2008
    Indiana
    All young growing animals are more susceptible to predators . If young they are lighter weight and can be picked up easier. I have not seen a hawk pick up an adult before but I have seen the remains of body parts from a young bird hanging in a tree behind the chicken coop. So i would exercise caution.

9. bigz1983

Aug 9, 2016
    Dang predators.. I guess there is no safe way to have a open top chicken run.

Frazzemrat1 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by