Info About Welsh Harlequins Please... UPDATE

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckboatprincess, Sep 7, 2009.

1. duckboatprincess

duckboatprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    So... I'm kinda excited. I'm not postive yet, but I might be getting some WH hatching eggs. I don't know how much though. I know a few of you have WHs so can you tell me a bit about them?

Personality, Size, Can they fly, How do they do with other ducks, Are they hard to hatch, Do they go broody often, etc

ETA: more questions

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. I only have three but I will share what I know.
    The WH are going to be a bit smaller than the ducks you have now. But they can't fly.
    They are reported to go broody more than a lot of ducks, but not as much as a muscovy or even a mallard. My year old WH hen hung around a lot with my broody runner this spring but didn't go broody herself.
    They aren't any harder to hatch than most ducks.
    Personality, hmmm, I think that depends on a lot of things. They aren't known to be as friendly as some ducks like muscovy or hookbills. They are like most of the other ducks, if you want them to be really friendly you have to work with them a lot. But mine often hang out with me in the yard, they do like the company. But they don't like to be picked up.
    They get along with the other ducks just fine.
    They are really good egg layers.
    And they are exceptionally beautiful in my opinion.
    I think you will love them, I do mine!
    Good luck with the hatching!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. duckboatprincess

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    The person is asking $6/doz eggs. Is that a good price?

4. Edited because I responded before I reread the thread. I was thinking you were talking about eating eggs.
    I think that is a fair price for WH eggs. Anyone else?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  5. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I think it's REALLY good, since I've been selling five plus Silver Appleyard eggs on eBay for $20.50. [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Dances with Ducks has it down. Smaller than a Peking or Rouen, but bigger than a khaki.

They are a bit on the loud side but not as bad as buffs.

They really do like company and love it when you talk to them. Mine eat treats out of my hand and don't run away when people stop by (actually they run TO you to see if you have treats [​IMG]) but they do not like being picked up.

If you are hatching them out yourself, that may very well change. Mine are all hatchery ducks. I do have a buff/khaki mix that I hatched out myself and I can pet her and pick her up, but she thinks I am "mom" [​IMG]

I think they are very pretty ducks with a lot of personality. I am really having fun getting to know my new drake. He is warming up to people nicely despite being raised in a larger flock. He is molting right now and looks scruffy as all get out, but he will be a very handsome devil when all that is done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$6 for a dozen hatching eggs sounds good to me. I paid $8 each for the girls as day-olds (paid extra for sexing and for small qty shipping) and $7 for the drake a few weeks ago.

7. duckboatprincess

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Thank you guys for the info. Wifezilla, your birds are beautiful. I love the coloring on the hens! I think that I am going to go out there and get them. I have to drive through the city to get a new incubator because well... mine sucks lol! So, it'll make the trip worth while I think! Thank you guys! Maybe I'll have some babies for sale in a month... if anyone is interested lol!

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks [​IMG]

The girls are a little scruffy too right now. Once they are done molting and their beaks finish changing color, they will be great. Bebe (second one from the bottom) is really photogenic...and a bit of a ham. She is my cute little runt [​IMG]

9. Wow Wifezilla, thier caps came off!! They are so pretty! I really like the last one, I'm a sucker for the whitest ones.

10. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That's Shelley. She is quite a character too. My "middle child"...LOL

Wendy (first hen shown) is the more even keeled, mature, dignified duck. Bebe is the spoiled, cute little runt, and Shelley is the "too smart for her own good" trouble maker!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by