1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Info needed on bantam cochin peep

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leadwolf1, May 1, 2011.

1. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    About an hour ago my less than week old cochin peep, I bought them at a feed store so I'm not sure of the exact age, started scratching at both sides of his head and peeping loudly. He is drinking, eating and eliminating just fine but he can't seem to rest very well since he is constantly scratching at his head. I have looked at him and can see no outward signs of trouble. I have even managed to get him to open his beak and can see no obstructions there. I would appreciate any advice. These are the first peeps I've tried to raise in 35 years and am a nervous wreck!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How long have you had them? and were they vaccinated ? and [​IMG]

3. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    I've had them for 36 hours and have no idea if they were vaccinated or not. I would have to wait until tomorrow morning to find out that answer. I have two golden laced cochins, one of which is the 'itchy' one, 2 red frizzle cochins and 4 naked necks. They are all very active and eating, drinking and eliminating normally. The chick that seems itchy was perfectly happy until about 90 minutes ago. He is still very active and normal in all ways except for the extreme itching. It seems to be getting better. However, I did give them some oatmeal earlier and changed their bedding. I am using Aspen that I have for my other small animals. His eyes are bright and his droppings are normal with no pasty butt. Thanks for any help you can give and for the welcome! This all started as a Mother's Day present from my daughter and I'm having a blast!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    the reason i asked about the vaccinations is there was a poster about a month ago that ordered chicks and had them vaccinated, well one of the chicks had a reaction to the shot and had severe itching. and could be the aspen too you never know what could set off an allergic reaction, if it keeps it up maybe try pine shaving just to see if that could be it. please let us know how it is doing.

5. Peep Talk

Peep Talk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC Mama [​IMG]
    I will continue to do research to help this little guy/gal [​IMG] Hope you can get some good help here, I have turned to this forum for almost every bit of my poultry knowledge [​IMG]

6. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    I will post updates. I will get pine tomorrow but Aspen was already available. He seems to be doing better and not scratching so much so I'm hoping that it might have been some dust in the ear or eye! Thanks for your help.[​IMG]

7. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    maybe wryneck? i here they shake their heads and scratch them when they have it... welcome btw

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    yep.... you need to find the thread for that.. I agree that is a good possibility.. especially with the peeping.

9. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the great advice! However, I am happy to announce that the peep hasn't had any more scratching episodes since about 11 pm last night. He is once again happy and healthy! I have no idea what upset him but I will not use the same cleaner that I did yesterday and the next change will be to pine. Everything is back to normal and no other peeps are having problems [​IMG] Thanks again, it was nice to have a place to turn to with so many helpful, knowledgeable people!

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good news [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by