1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Info needed on how to cut a Polish hen's hair

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by M To The Maxx, Dec 25, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    We just bought a Buff Laced Polish hen yesterday and she cannot see very well because she has way too much feathers on her tophat. What are the best places to cut and what do I cut them with? Would scissors be okay? Thanks for the info in advance and Merry Christmas!

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I ran into this same problem this summer with my Buff Polish. I trim the feathers over their eye and maybe a little on the top; especially on the roos. I trim down to the face.I usually have my Dh or one of my sons hold them and use a pair of kids scissors. I may have to trim twice a year, maybe three if that. They sure need it too sometimes![​IMG]

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I have heard that if you cut the feathers in the wrong place that the rest of the feather will start to bleed. Is that true? If so, how do I prvent it?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

If you cut too far down on a given feather they will sometimes bleed. But I've never had that happen. You'll know when 'too far' is too far, before you reach that point. [​IMG] I've given my crested birds very good cuts-where as-an outsider looking at them can hardly notice I even touched them, and their vision was better. I usually cut away the feathers around the birds' eyes and-if the bird is bearded-around the beard and muffing, also. I never cut it all off, just trim around the area surrounding the eyes.

I use safety scissors but I also need a family member or friend to hold 'em down while I have at it. The Polish don't take well to having a sharp object-or any object, for that matter-waved in their eyes. [​IMG]

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:That is generally only in the primary flight feathers, or large tail feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by