Info on domesticated mallards?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by playswithfowl, Jul 23, 2008.

1. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Can anyone give me some info. mallards? Are they friendly in general? Anthing you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.
    playswithfowl

2. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Are you asking about a true mallard or the rouen which is colored like a mallard but, larger and heavier? I had the true malards at one time for about 3 years and loved them. My only drawback with them was, they fly very well and if not completely enclosed will fly off sometimes when other wild mallards fly close by. If you raise them from ducklings and spend a reasonable amount of time with them, they become very friendly. Mine would fly from the pond to the backyard when I got home from work and be waiting on me by the time I got to the top of the driveway! They would eat out of my hands also. They are great mothers and the hatch rate is high. They are also hardy, cold , wet, dry, hot it didn't matter they did well no matter what the weather was. I hope this helps, I would like to have some now but, I have ran out of room unless I could keep them in my bath tub! hmmmm....[​IMG]

3. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I am not a hundred percent sure. I am asking for my grandma who lives in Montana. I think that they are mallards. They are from a hatcery, privett I believe. They are ducklings. Thanks a bunch for the info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by