info on Dorkings

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by new2chix, Dec 30, 2008.

1. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    I will be adding to my small flock in the spring. i have a Black Australorp, 2 EE, 1 Blue Andalusian, 1 beautiful mutt roo, and 1 duck (long story). I have decided on adding a couple of marans and welsummers, a polish, and a couple of soul - stealing silkies. I am interested in dorkings also, but info on them is harder to find. Does anybody have them? How do you like them? Are they generally a calm breed? How are they as layers? Where did you get yours? Thanks for any info.

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Thanks for posting this. I will be interested to hear the answers too.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I raise Silver Grey Dorkings now... it took all summer to find them and get the few that I have. They are lovely birds, slow to mature though two of my pullets started laying right at 6 months. The few birds I have came from MMH, and Black Diamond Guest Ranch in Montana. The birds from MMH are actually quite nice. They are pretty mellow, but I hear they go broody at the drop of the hat, kind of like silkies. This is my first year with them, and they only started laying, so other than that I can't help you. There are a few other BYCers that have Dorkings, too.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    P.S. Red dorkings are gorgeous, too... there is a gal in Arizona that has them, as well as Black Diamond Guest Ranch, and she sells her eggs on Ebay. Eggbid and Ovabid are good places to check for them, too.
    There is a new Dorking Breeders Club...
    http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/dorkingbreedersclub/
    The MSN site is going away soon.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  5. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

My dorking was very sweet, laid eggs regularly and yes, would go broody often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I just got a 2 Silver Gray Dorking hens and a roo. I have only had the trio for a few weeks. They should start laying soon. Mine are pretty calm. I can't wait until they start laying.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by