info on having heat lamps in chicken house

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by grannychicken54, Jan 15, 2013.

1. grannychicken54

grannychicken54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Hi I was reading on BYC thread that heat lamps are not good in the chicken house I have a bantam cochin thats is sitting and I could not break her .I have heat lamps above her and over the roost and over 2 pens where I have some bantams . They go out side during the day .It is really cold here so I thought they would need them it also keeps the water from freezing so much. Please someone who knows tell me if I am hurting more than helping. In the summer I have a water cooler for them is this wrong also? I would really be greatful for some advice from a expert. Thanks

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Mother Nature enabled chickens to grow thick down feathers in the winter for warmth.
    By providing artificial heat, you are throwing off their natural heating and can cause them to shed their down feathers which would cause them to get cold.
    Do not provide any heat!
    I have a bantam d'Uccle hen sitting on eggs OUTSIDE in a planter (it's snowing out there).
    I tried repeatedly to move her off the nest and put her inside the coop, but she insists on sitting on her nest.
    Where she is she's safe from predators, so she's fine out there (I just feel sorry for her cuz I'm human and enjoy being inside next to my warm fireplace).
    Sometimes it's just hard to remember that chickens are not humans.
    [​IMG]

3. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Thanks for the info so now should I take the heat lamps away all at once or one at a time to allow them to get their winter feathers on? I was afraid they would get to cold.Anybody know which way would be better thanks for any advice. I am as bad with my other animals dogs and cats in sunroom with heat and the horse has a coat.

4. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Just try removing the heat altogether.
    If they get cold, they will find a warm spot to huddle.

5. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    thanks I will turn them all off today . It is going to be above freezing today and around 30 to night. I really thank you for the advice there are alot of people on here who know alot about chickens I have just had to learn as I go. Once again thanks

6. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yep! We all learn as we go and get good advice from others.

You can give your chickens some scratch grains during the colder months to fatten them up a bit (toss it as a treat; do not mix with their feed).
    If you really wanna have some fun, make them some warm oatmeal in the mornings! They'll love you for it!
    If you have a dairy farm nearby, give them some warm milk straight from the cow (my chickens LOVE this!).
    Enjoy!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by