Info on how to breed sex links

Have you googled info on certain sex linked chickens? I found a ton of information on red sex links and how they originate from crosses of birds like Rhode Island reds and isadoras and such.

One option is solid male x barred female. All males will be barred and all females will be solid. That's the only sex-link that I know how to make.

There's also one with red vs gold and another with fast feathering vs slow feathering, but I don't know how those work.

I experimented with this about 10 years ago and came up with an interesting one...I used an Ameraucana roo over White Leghorns so I could get green eggs that were larger and more frequent. Interestingly, within a couple of weeks, all the girls had grey legs and the boys had yellow legs. Have fun with it, there could be some interesting mixes out there.

You can use any gene that's located on a sex chromosome (z/w) to create a sex link cross. If you're looking for the basics, it's well explained in this article. It describes the classic sex-linked cross of a RIR and a silver sussex hen.

The barring gene is also a sex gene on the z-chromosome that's used a lot. So in the example of 3killerbs, the female (zw) carries the barring gene on her z-chromosome and can't pass it to her daughters. I remember I've seen an article with a couple of examples to start from, but I can't seem to find it.

One option is solid male x barred female. All males will be barred and all females will be solid. That's the only sex-link that I know how to make.

There's also one with red vs gold and another with fast feathering vs slow feathering, but I don't know how those work.
Would a male buff Orpington work? What kind of other solids are out there? An americana isn't a solid, right?

Would a male buff Orpington work? What kind of other solids are out there? An americana isn't a solid, right?

I'm not a big expert on this, but a Buff Orpington should work because he doesn't have a pattern. I don't know what you get if you mix bars and patterns.

Americanas -- the marketing name for Easter Eggers -- come in a vast rainbow of colors. Some are solid, some are not. :)

Ameraucanas come in named color varieties -- which is almost everything I know about them. :lau

Back
Top Bottom