Info on laying please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dzzzyd, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Dzzzyd

Dzzzyd Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    I haven't been here for awhile for medical reasons, but glad to be back. Anyway. I am wondering about my girls as they haven't started laying yet. They were born in May, so I know they are probably just now the age to start laying. Am I just getting antsy? Flo is a Buff Orpington and Ginger is a Rhode Island Red. Unfortunately little Alice was attacked by a dog, rest in peace. Also will this effect the other girls in laying, as they saw her get attacked. It's starting to get cold here and I am wondering if there's anything I should do to encourage laying in cold weather. As you can tell I am not very experienced. Will they lay this winter? They bring such joy to my life. This morning I brought Ginger in the house for the Grandbabies to pet. She is so gentle and calm. Have a good day to you all.
    Diane

2. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    My buff hasn't started laying just yet and she's 25 weeks old, heavy breeds take longer to lay. My black sex links, rocks and dorking are just now laying. My cochins, langshans, wyandottes, and buffs haven't laid yet. I wouldn't worry and give it more time. Good luck.

3. Dzzzyd

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Thank you so much for the answer so quickly. Guess I am just an impatient Mama. Haha! It has been such an amazing journey to watch them grow from little fluff balls to such beautiful hens. Sometimes I take an old metal milking stool inside their little house and sit awhile, and they jump on my lap for a pet. One of my son's just shakes his head. He keeps saying chickens are not pets mom, they are for food. Oh well. Right now they have been a comfort to me when I have needed it.
    Diane

4. gretchen

gretchen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2007
    I believe they can be both pets and food... laying chickens are pets that give you food, meat birds are food. I treat my ladies as pets and they act like it, following me everywhere in the yard and happy to see me in the morning. As for the laying, only 3 out of 7 are laying for me, at 28 weeks. You can light their coop for a couple hours everyday to encourage winter laying, I have mine on a timer to turn on at 6:30 so they have an early wake up time. I think it's more the lack of light than the cold that can discourage laying in the winter.

5. Dzzzyd

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Thanks for the tip with the light. I will get one set up this weekend. Sounds like a great idea. Thanks again.
    Diane

6. jkm

jkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    I am so lucky, 2 barreds, 2 buffs, all laying at 20 weeks. they are on very high protien, organic feed, wonder if that made a difference.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think this year, it seems as if many more pullets are starting to lay later. My original flock all started at 19 weeks and the last one laid at 24 weeks. My earliest one this year laid at 22 weeks and the latest one at 30 weeks.

8. gretchen

gretchen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2007
    I feed mine all Organic feed as well and table scraps... still only 3 laying. I have to say they have been laying for weeks now and nothing from anyone else...argh

9. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Well I take that back my Cochins layed today and so did what I think was a white rock [​IMG]

10. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    My 5 hens are 19 weeks old and today we got the first 3 eggs. I know that Tips the Australop laid at least one. I think Amelia the smaller buff orphington laid another and I'm not sure who laid the third, but it was very exciting. Two of them even laid in the nest box!!!!

I feed a combination of table scraps , regular layer feed and they free range through my garden and fruit trees. They have eaten a lot of pears, tomatoes and peaches this year.

Good luck with your chicks. I find mine very soothing also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by