info on Muscovy ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hatchcrazzzy, Oct 5, 2007.

1. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    Muscovy ducks. The Muscovy (Cairina moschata) is distinctly different genetically from common ducks. This breed is believed to have originated in South America, although ancient records of this or a similar breed have been found in Egypt. There are both colored and white feathered varieties of Muscovies. The Sudani is a breed of Muscovy found in Egypt. Unlike common ducks, the head and face of Muscovies is covered with caruncles (a fleshy growth that resembles wattles). Another prominent feature of Muscovy ducks is the large difference in body size between the drake and the duck, the male weighing 30-50% more than the female. Muscovies tolerate hot weather much better than common ducks. Muscovy eggs require about 35 days to hatch. While Muscovies can be crossed with common ducks, their offspring are sterile

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Great info! You forgot that they are personable, affectionate and dog-like with their wagging tails and htey way they follow you everywhere. They love a good conversation and are cuter then heck!

I love my scovies![​IMG]

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i have never had any Muscovy ducks.thank you for the info i raise roun ducks and they are very friendly.mostly when i feed them fresh tomatos.lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by