Info on NewHampshires!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TheTwoRoos, May 3, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I thought I would make a thread just for those peope who are thinking about getting them or do not know to much about them.

New hampshires are a very well tempered breed and are docile.They lay large eggs and are usually some shade of brown.They are semi aggressive with chickens.Very dominant and competitive in fights.They do not do well in tight spaces.They are also great foragers.Large fowl too.Roosters can weight at the most 7 1/2 pounds,hens 5-6 pounds,pullets 4-5 pounds,cockerals 5-6 pounds.

They mature and feather very quickly.They were bred fron the Rhode Island Red strains.That is where they get their black feathers and light colored browns from,and probably the tude too.They do not have the best of immune systems.They are meat used and are for egg purpose.

The hens make great mothers and usually never aggressive.

The roosters are also very great flock defenders and make great pets.

2. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    About how many eggs does a hen lay a week? Are the roosters aggressive towards people? Thanks

3. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    They each have their own personalities.But have heard many nice things about.Hens usuaally lay an egga day.So a full week they would lay about 7.Since in one week there is 7 days.

4. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks! Also do they lay through the winter?

5. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    yes.But do not do well in hot temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by