Info on selling coturnix quail.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by crazzzymike13, Feb 27, 2012.

1. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    First off I live in the Texas Panhandle. Around here is bobwhite quail. From what I hear the population has been going down a little because we haven't had alot of rain. I've heard that some people around here buy quail to train their dogs and hunt them./ Anyways I am about to get into raising Coturnix Quail for meat. But what if I had someone here interested in buying some off me what should I charge? They are alot smaller than bobwhite right? I'm not sure anyone would be interested in this kind of quail. But who knows. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike

2. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Around here Reg wild BW weigh 5-7 Oz., I have some Ga Giants that will go 13Oz. Regular Cots weigh 5-7 Oz Jumbos Browns (cots) will go 10-14 Oz And I saw some A&Ms that can beat that, but not a Pound. Around here eating Quail go for 2.00 to 3.00 bucks.The real diff is BW are white meat and Cots not as white.All are OK to raise but Jumbo Brns and A& M are so gentle and calm and attain there weight .Ready to eat in 7W and BW ready in 14W.....cva34

3. crazzzymike13

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    So the jumbo browns get bigger yet take the same amount of time to be butcher ready as the regular coturnix?

4. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Jumbo browns hit processing weight between 6-10 weeks, you can eat them any time but they hit decent weights at this age.

They grow at a faster rate than standard cots because they are larger to begin since they come from bigger hens and roos and then they eat more so they are set up from birth.

I have some larger cots now that are 10oz but most people dont consider them jumbos till 12 oz, I have some younger ones that will get big, cant wait for those.

Type "tatanka" in the search bar and read up, biggest jumbos I have seen yet

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    that is the word. although if you wait to butcher at 10+ oz, the standards may never make it...[​IMG]

6. crazzzymike13

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    Cool. I am really looking foreword to getting some eggs and hatching them out. I need to wait for my chicken eggs to hatch so I can get started. Thanks for all the information everyone!

Mike

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by