Info on silver laced wyanndotte

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boykin2010, Oct 23, 2010.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i am really confused on what the silver laced wyandottes eggs look like. i have never seen her in the box and i dont know what her eggs look like but i know she laying. can someone post a picture of your silver laced wyandotte egg. That would help me out a lot.

2. paxicotrader

paxicotrader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    I don't have a picture but our Gold Laced Wyandotte lays a larger pale brown/tan egg.

All the Wyandottes lay these types, so that should include your Silver.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I used to have some years ago- so I don't have a pic. They are just regular ol' brown eggs. Like you get at the store.

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Have 5 SLW and they lay an off white/tan egg.

Odd thing regarding eggs: Have 3 BR's...one just began to lay...her egg is nothing like the other two...her eggs are long/narrow, very pale tan/off-white and all of her eggs have been large...no pullet eggs. The other two still lay the small brown pullet eggs after a month of laying.

5. hudsonmama

hudsonmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    I have two Wyandottes, silver laced and gold laced, and they both lay light brown to tan eggs, sometimes with a little speckling but mostly not. Hope that helps!

6. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    Not to hijack this thread but I am looking to replace my Isa browns with GLW or SLW next spring and was wondering if you are happy with this breed? I am looking for a breed that doesn't bully each other. Thanks!

7. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:That seems to be the case with our two SLW's also.

Larry

8. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Eva and I agree we'll never have SLW's on our place again. They are grumpy, pick on the Buff Orps, and do not take well to being handled by us. I much prefer the Orpingtons and Australorps. The jury is still out on the three Welsumers as they have only been here six weeks and had a rough time of it before we got them.

Larry

9. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for your opinion, Dirtsaver!! I looked at the breed chart and it said that this breed is docile but I'd much rather hear first hand accounts!

10. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    [​IMG] here you go this is my first half dozen from my SLW Lacie May

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by