Info on Welsummer girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roogirl, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Roogirl

Roogirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    I have 3 Welsummer girls, all great layers and one very awesome Welsummer Roo.

My quesiton is about the girls not going broody. I have read they arent the best breed for raising chicks but is it normal that not one of the girls have gone broody?

This is their second year with me and I brought them as POL so it cant be an age thing I am assuming.

I would love some chicks and have brought a couple of Barnevelder chicks hoping that in time they will give me chicks.

Is it normal for some hens to never go broody?

2. Roogirl

Roogirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    I probably should mention I am in Tasmania and well into Spring its definitely the right time!

3. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    Hello from Oklahoma, USA. On the Wellie girls, I have only had two go broody out of the 80 or so that I have had, both of these girls are well into their second year, they have been good mommas though.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Welsummers are not a broody breed. It can happen, but is not common. The barnevelders are a broody breed, and they will be much more prone to going broody. Did you get your barnevelders from Paul Healy?

5. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I have a welsummer that is 27 weeks and hopefully she will start laying soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by