Info/pics of bantam Wyandottes and Brahmas from Ideal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by rabbithaus, Oct 28, 2009.

1. rabbithaus

rabbithaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Triangle, NC
    Please, can I have some adult pics and health/temperament/laying info on bantam Wyandottes and Brahmas from Ideal? Oh, EEs too!

Thanks!!

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I would be interest to know also. The EE's and dotts.

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Not sure about the bantam Brahmas, but I got an assortment of their standards last spring.

The lights were not lights, they were a cross between light/dark.
    The buffs were very pretty, but after culling the 12 for a good columbian type feather pattern, I only ended up with 4. They also had poorly feathered feet, and were very underweight.
    The darks, were the biggest, and most heavly plumaged. They did have some brown in there, but I didn't mind. They had the nicest feathered feet as well. The males through were very aggressive.

Just personally, I wouldn't order Brahmas from them again. Not because I expected better color, but because of the temperment, and size of the birds. I also got some Light Brahmas from McMurry and they were also a dark/light cross, and lacked weight.

[​IMG]

Though, I didn't mind working with Ideal, out of fifty five birds I only had three that weren't healthy. I also, recieved some great OEGB from them, and the Silkies were okay. Maybe, their Brahma bantams are better then their standards.

Good luck [​IMG]

4. rabbithaus

rabbithaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Triangle, NC
    Thank you for the reply. The light/dark cross is...odd. I mean, no one expects show chickens from hatcheries but that is way off.

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I got bantam GLW's from Ideal this past spring, and the babies are now about 18 weeks old. I can get pictures tomorrow if you're interested. They seem to be pretty good representatives of the breed as far as color and lacing is concerned. All have rosecombs and yellow legs. I don't know yet how they're going to be shaped when they are fully filled out, but right now they are really pretty.

6. Harris5

Harris5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Northern CA
    I received 10 bantam Blue Laced Red Wyandottes from Ideal in March. Of the 30 bantam chicks that arrived, 2 of the BLRW were dead. Ideal credited my account for the two lost. Seven reached maturity. Of those seven, six were roosters. All of them were Splash. One rooster appeared to have nice type and lacing. The rest were quite honestly not attractive. I spent countless hours with them in failed attempts to make them friendly. I would NOT order this variety from them again. HOWEVER....the 20 Dutch bantams I received from them in the same order are very friendly, exceptional and adorable beyond words!!

7. sableboi

sableboi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Lakeland
    I ordered LF Dark, Light and Buff Brahmas from Ideal. I don't have any of the original birds, but the Lights were HUGE - but poorly marked and had poor tail sets, but they laid like the dickens. They were great for the 4H birds and the rooster won a trophy for the kid I gave them to. The Buff Brahmas were SMALL. Very small and their color was very washed out, but again, they laid like the dickens.

The darks were nice and as such we have purchased SQ Dark Brahmas. The rooster I got from them was big, but not the Quality you would need to show - but he was an excellent flock rooster. He would fly up on a fence post (hence not as big as he should have been) 10' away from a hawk setting on the other. The hens laid nicely and had nice leg plumage - NO VULTURE HOCKS, but again poor lacing and tail sets. They all laid like a RIR. I have two hens left that are 2nd generation from Ideal that are with a show quality rooster. I kept them because they will probably be excellent broody's and I can use them to hatch my SQ birds. They are the reason we have SQ Brahmas now though.

I pick my SQ trio up this weekend at the shows in Inverness FL - EXCITING.

Matt

8. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    anyone else?

9. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I got GL Wyandottes from Ideal once. Perfectly healthy but on the smaller side and not the nicest birds but in no way mean. I have Wyandottes coming from Jesse Paul and I am so excited.

ETA Woops you are asking about bantams. Sorry I have never order bantam Wyandottes [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  10. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I ordered an rooster assortment last summer from Ideal, and I was sent a brahma rooster. I have mixed feelings about him. I sold him though, b/c he was skittish/flighty and "loved" on one of my hens until he ended up killing her. I am no expert on this breed, but he was gorgeous in my opinion!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by