Info wanted on cochin chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    I got my hatchery order 3 weeks ago- BLRW, BO, EE, SS, and a polish! And my free surprize chick (supposed to be rare/exotic) I deduced was a partridge cochin.
    I have never had this breed before, but I know some folks love 'em, so I figured, why not? Maybe I will want to keep him/her.
    This little booger is the most whiney, skittish, pitiful looking chick I have ever had. Did I just get a dud? His small, beady eyes make him look like he has some sort of mental handicap, and he is about 2 weeks behind the rest of the batch as far as feathering out. His wingtips and shoulders barely have feathers while everyone else is at least 60% feathered and practicing flying. The cochin can't even jump. I mean it is healthy enough. About the same size as the others and growing fine. It eats and drinks and is lively enough-just try catching it! But it is just disappointing. The more time I spend with my 12 new chicks, the less I like that one. As I mentioned, I am new to the breed and I have no others to compare it to. Do they usually feather late? Do they ever get cuter? Do you think the hatchery sent me a pullet or cockeral? I really just want to find out if mine is typical for the breed. I *did* want to get frizzles some day, but this one is making me glad I didn't order any.
    Cochin lovers speak up! Why should I like this breed?

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    Anyone?

Someone HAS to have cochins!

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    You should read our Cochin Thread! 90% of my chickens are Cochins. I have mostly bantams but I do have a few pairs of standards. If its a standard Cochin, they do take longer to feather out. Why? Because they're HUGE when they're adults!!!

My Black Cochin roo is 13 lbs and LARGE!

But Cochins are also very shy birds, especially the hens. They are lovable and sweet so what you consider whiny is probably the shyness.

Here's our Cochin Thread, check it out. We are all big time Cochin lovers!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=195235&p=1

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by