Information about a duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Daisy_Duck, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Daisy_Duck

Daisy_Duck In the Brooder

Nov 19, 2017
    Hello all! :) Alright, so, i live near a few small ponds (with one medium sized one right across the street, where several ducks/geese live, along with other wildlife) and occasionally some wander over to our yard to eat some bird food or just chill, then they leave quite quickly. There's usually a little group of three, and they aren't super friendly (they're not mean, they just stay away from people). But, for the past couple days this lone duck has been hanging around eating bird food, but has been very friendly to me. Follows me if I walk around, even let me (sorta) pet it, and gets very close to me. I love ducks, so this made me so incredibly happy. But of course I want to do what's best for the duck! So I just want some information, on both the duck itself (gender, age, etc.) and also opinions on if I should leave it alone or continue to befriend it. Really just looking for anything. Thank you!

20171119_145308.jpg Snapchat-2121719336.jpg

Duckworth likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome That's a pekin that somebody dumped. By the looks of the pictures it is in rough shape and needs daily access to a balanced diet. It is a domesticated duck not a wild duck. I'll guess duck rather than drake because I see no drake curl, but that may just be a result of the poor condition of the duck. Providing feed and a safe coop would be a very kind thing.

3. Daisy_Duck

Nov 19, 2017
    That's so sad. I thought she looked kinda rough but wouldn't have guessed that someone would have just dumped her. Thank you for your reply!

4. puffypoo

puffypoo Free Ranging

Oct 3, 2015
    Western Massachussetts
    That's great that you found a duck! I would check her for illness or mites, treat for that, then give her some ducky friends so she won't be lonely.

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Agree with Sour - big, white, and can't really fly would be a death sentence in a wild bird; that's a domestic duck. The best thing you can do for it would be to take it in. Male and female ducks have different voices, so if your bird makes a loud "QUACK, QUACK, QUACK" you can be pretty sure it's a female; male birds' voices are a quite a bit softer, and a bit hoarse and whispery.

6. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    Agree with other posters. I’m glad you are willing to give it a good home. Do you have experience with raising ducks? If not you have come to the right place! There are lots of educational threads on here with experienced BYCrs that are great with advice!

puffypoo22 and Daisy_Duck like this.
  7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    X2

Unfortunately, dumping unwanted ducks at ponds or other water sources is common... so many seem to think they are doing the ducks a favor, but being domesticated it is same as dumping a dog or cat...

Looks like he/she is in middle of molting, so voice is best way to tell gender...

8. Daisy_Duck

Nov 19, 2017
    Thanks everyone. She makes a loud "HONK" sound, so I'm assuming it's a female. Also, there is a waterfowl rescue nearby that might come check on her. In the meantime I keep checking outside hoping she'll come by again! Thanks for all your help. :)

Ravynscroft likes this.
  9. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Sounds like a duck for sure then! :fl she comes back around to you! :)

Daisy_Duck likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: