Information needed please....how do I find out what happend?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrazyChickens09, Feb 5, 2013.

1. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    first off I bought hatching eggs.. seller sent 16 eggs, two got broken, 10 never did developed and three died during lockdown..so 1 chick made it. How do I find out what happened/ caused the three not to make it. I have hatched three times before and had good success but this is the first time with shipped. Thank you

2. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    temperature was 97 low to 100 high..30-40% pre-hatch and 60-70 during hatch and turned 3-5 times a day.

3. boyswithchicks

boyswithchicks New Egg

Jan 17, 2013
    If two eggs were broken in transit that may be a clue as to how the rest suffered. Perhaps the viable embryos were destroyed during shipping due to bad handling. There may have been a percentage that were infertile in any case. The three that perished during lockdown could have died from a variety of things. Did they pip internally or perish before that? Did they externally pip and then perish?

Factors such as the health of the breeding hens is critical and so is the fertility of the rooster. With some breeds here we have a problem with enough genetic diversity and this can effect hatchability.

Your temps and humidity would appear all ok so I would look to other factors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by