information on breed blue rocks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by augiedranch, Apr 3, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i have heard some info on the breed of chicken blue rocks.. what do these look like as a baby?

i bought some chicks from tsc and they guaranteed full blood or sex linked chicks... i know what everyone is
    except for this guy...... is he a blue rock?

i have no clue!! he is smaller than the blk australorp and buff that i have.. but about the size of the bantys that i have.. a little smaller than the ameracauanas that hatched with him..
    thanks guys

his name is blu
    [​IMG]

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Looks like a blue andalusian to me, it is blue, slate legs and a single comb. Looks like a roo also.

3. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    thanks! ur the first person to give me a breed name to look up. oh, the web sites didnt have any blue andalusians on it though... thank you again for ur help:D

4. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    he's not a blue rock b/c they have yellow legs I believe....I have 9 out in the brooder & I can double check if you need me to

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

Here are the chicks out of Gordie's Blue Rocks....

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    They dont necessarily have to have yellow legs, they usually have black or slate legs.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    According to the standard of perfection, it says about Blue Plymouth Rocks:

Disqualifications - shanks other than yellow or dusky yellow.

On the color of a male and female Blue Plymouth Rock:

Shanks and toes: Male -- Yellow. Female Yellow or dusky yellow, yellow preferred.

So it sounds to me that black legs are a disqualification. Ewesheep, are you sure those chicks arent orps? It also describes all different colors of Rocks; every one of them, the description is yellow shanks and yellow toes for all colors. Under disqualifications, it states:

Shanks and Toes: All breeds
    1. Foreign color to that described for breed and variety. (Slight reddish tinge of pigment in yellow shanked varieties not to disqualify).

This is why I paid the $14 for the Standard of Perfection from the American Poultry Association. There is no doubt exactly what each description for each breed is. I would recommend the book to anyone serious about breeding their chickies.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Halo, good idea. It seems that alot of people dont have standards, but you can get them for $10-15 for a black and white 1998 version. The main diff is that it doesnt have all of the newer breeds, but it has most of the basics.

9. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i know this might sound bad,, but im not wanting to show my chickens.. or really even sell them. they are companian animals to me.... i was just really wanting to know what my cute little "blu" was so i could tell people when they ask me..

thanks for yalls help!

im a little confused though

lol [​IMG]

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I dont plan on showing either. But the breed standard is important to me if Im breeding or buying chickens, because I want to produce chickens that do conform to the standard. Its like if Im raising poodles, and one poodle mom somehow has a litter full of dalmations puppies. I can call those puppies poodles if I want, but if they dont conform to the breed standard, then im not only deceiving buyers who may not know any better, but Im hurting the breed. Just a little pet peeve of mine, from breeding purebred animals for decades.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by