1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Information on call ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hunter99, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Hunter99

Hunter99 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Hello all. I am looking into getting call ducks in the spring. I wanted to put a nesting box on the floor of my chicken coop, and let them come and go as they wish, and free range. Is there any tips on keeping them with chickens, free ranging and any other information I need to know. Thanks a lot.-Hunter99 [​IMG]

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG]

what do you know about them? are you aware they fly, like REALLY fly and very, very well. Are you also aware due to that very small size they are extremely predator prone, so clipping them is risky too as that leaves them vulnerable.

I would also be concerned with them being bullied by big chickens and larger ducks... something you'd have to watch for.

Noise factor is something to mention, the females are proof why they are called "call ducks" lol the drakes are barely a garble.

I don't free range mine, i pen them.. a 10x10 dog run, i do leave them full flight and cover my run, i do this in(leave them full flight) case they need a quick escape. They herd pretty good as their coop right now is not attached to the run so we go back n forth.

No nest boxes here frankly, my bigger breed ducks don't use them so i don't see these guys being any different...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  3. Hunter99

Aug 6, 2013
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Ok thanks. I may need to make a pen for them. I am looking for a smaller duck breed to keep in with my chickens, do you have any suggestions? Thanks

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    well i think there would be quite a few what kind of chickens are we speaking about? if standards or large fowl i'd likely opt for a medium to large breed duck. What purpose would you like ducks for? dual purpose, eggs, foraging, pest control??

5. Hunter99

Aug 6, 2013
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I have standard size chickens and bantams. The ducks would be for foraging and pest control, but I would like to get a few eggs. I had 9 pekins and 1 mallard last year, but the mallard disappeared and I had family friends that took the pekins. The pekins were so big and messy! Any suggestions?

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Buffs and Cayuga are nice... I own the first type am getting the others next month lol I mainly own Muscovy but they are big, well documented pest control breed however. All ducks are messy though just goes with the territory.

Calls are on the end of the scale(least for mess) because of their small size but not the best for foraging and pest control due to their petite sizing, they do well don't get me wrong mine are forage champs but half the bugs are as big as them lol

Runners are also good foragers.. although not sure how great they are with extreme weather.. how has your winter been? mine in Ontario has been something else.

7. Hunter99

Aug 6, 2013
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I am in Nb. Really cold here too. Hard keeping the waterers un frozen. I may build a pen for call ducks. Or get a bigger breed and make them a house for the winter. What do ya think?

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Up to you, the calls are great fun! mine are my "pets" they are easy keepers beyond housing- that is the biggest issue due to the sizing.. keeping them from being a "happy meal" lol

I have coops and a mini barn to house the larger duck flock, i lock them up at night and let them loose during the day, i do keep 1/3 of an acre fenced to keep them in after dusk, and basically during the winter months...

I use troughs for water pools and kiddy pools... water is the biggest issue especially in this brutal cold, long drawn out winter lol but you do what you have to lol

9. Hunter99

Aug 6, 2013
    New Brunswick, Canada
    HaHa thanks. Are you going to be doing any spring hatching this year??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by