1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Information request on NPIP inspections

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by WDFlock2015, Dec 15, 2014.

1. WDFlock2015

WDFlock2015 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2014
    Hi. I'm looking to get NPIP certified in the next couple of months and I know about the testing procedure, but was wondering if anyone could tell me about the inspection process.

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I'm not sure which State you are from, but in Georgia, besides testing the birds, the inspection only involves a look over, mainly checking for cleanliness, etc. That part probably doesn't even take five minutes, at least on our small farm.

3. WDFlock2015

WDFlock2015 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2014
    Thank you. I'm in Wisconsin, but since it's national I'm assuming it's about the same.

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    What is NPIP?

5. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    NPIP stands for National Poultry Improvement Plan. Their primary function is to test birds for diseases that may run unchecked otherwise, and keep up with birds and eggs that leave their respective States. You can find more information on their website at http://www.poultryimprovement.org/default.cfm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by