Informatoin on Sir John Sebright?

Miss Sebright

Little Hen.....Big Attitude!
12 Years
Apr 3, 2009
In a nutshell
Wasn't really sure where to put this. I have to pick a person to do a research progect on for school, and might do him. I need some information though, and I'm not sure where to look. Thanks guys!

I just googled Sir John Sebright and got lots of hits. Kinda interesting. He invented a chicken.

Imp

Last edited:
If it is for school and you are a true addict of sebrights... I'd even go so far as to go to Amazon.com and search his name... there might be biographies or even books he wrote. IDK... seems like a good idea. Good luck on your project!

Here are some references that can be downloaded for free:

The American Poulterer's Companion. a Practical Treatise on the Breeding ... By C. N. Bement (info. on JS's stock)
Inheritance In Poultry C.B. Davenport (brief quote from a letter from Sebright's son telling a slightly different story)

His 1809 pamphlet: The Art of Improving the Breeds of Domestic Animals – in a letter addressed to the right hon. Sir Joseph Banks, K.B. – by Sir John Saunders Sebright, bart., M.P.
Available in full (reprinted) in: The American Farmer 1825, John S. Skinner

The paragraphs from that pamphlet that indirectly contributed to much hullabaloo:

Sebright1809.jpg

`Natural' as compared to `directed' (human intervention) `selection'. Google Herbert Spencer.

Google Books/Internet Archive/Project Gutenberg (some places to run down the above - and more).

Have fun.
P.S. if using windows, and either Firefox or IE, Adobe Acrobat reader replacement (the free version is about as good as the $), not a resource hog, faster and has more features ( http://www.docu-track.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer ) whacking up/resorting/cataloging reference material from PDF's in a hurry. Notepad ++ is good for quick work in plain text files: http://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/ (also free)
(Mrs. Beeton's Book Of Household Management notes the location of `Sir John's' coops... )

Back
Top Bottom