Infra red lights

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mugove, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Mugove

Mugove New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    Are infra red lights necessary or the chickens just need light and warmth, because infra red lights consume much energy, am new on this project, am raring 1200 now

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] For small chicks red lamps are most commonly used, not least for the heat, but it's believed that the red light keeps them calm and prevents them pecking each other. There are alternatives, such as these:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

But I don't know if it's a viable alternative on the scale you're raising them at...

I have experimented a bit with my last batch of chicks and used a small fan heater to keep the room I brooded them in at a warm enough temperature and found that used much less electricity, but again, it depends on how big an area you're heating, etc.

You could also look at a sweeter heater:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ater-instead-of-brooder-bulb-arrangement/0_30

The most important thing is the HEAT, not so much the light. As long as the chicks are kept warm enough and the risk of brooder fires are minimal, you can play around with different heating options.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Sumi has left you some fab advice :D With lamps I would certainly advise red as the white light is just too much. I learnt this hard way when my red bulb stopped working. They only had white bulbs left so I had to get one but it caused nothing but trouble. The chicks did not settle underneath it and were awake all night!! Lots of fights ensued and all in all it was a nightmare. Thankfully I found a red a bulb a bit of a drive away but it was worth going to get it for the peace.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    You've already got some great advice, so I just wanted to say welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by