Infrared heating okay at night?

Chicklover92

Hatching
Nov 22, 2018
First time chicken owner and as it's getting closer to winter, my installed heating system has started to go on during some of the colder nights. I know some people say that you don't need heating, but I just want to keep the inside of the coop above freezing so that the eggs don't freeze and keep them somewhat comfortable. I live in an area where there are rarely any power outages so I'm not too worried about irratic temprature changes. I've also read that the red lights are alright for the chickens and they can sleep through them. But when I go and check on them during the cold nights, they're roaming around and not on their roosts like normal. I've attached some pictures of the type of heater that's in the coop. Is this a different type of red light than the common ones used? I used this one since I had it around and thought with the temprature controlled outlet i wouldnt have to worry about it getting too hot. Its connected to an outlet that turns on at 2 degrees and off at 7. I'm thinking of changing it out for an oil filled radiant heater so there isn't any light since my chickens seem to be acting different on the nights that it turns on. I just dont want my chicks to become cannabilistic with too much light and no sleep. Would switching to the normal red lights be another option? Any input and wisdom from others would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_123004.jpg
    IMG_20181205_123004.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20181205_123023.jpg
    IMG_20181205_123023.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 8
I have used heat lamps at night in a barn setting. Some birds, especially those not yet mature, were active during much of night going after additional food. Adults were much less active. My setup has one heatlamp servicing walkway in front of three 10 x 10 pens. Pens farthest away have little or no nocturnal activity. Reducing light level hitting roosting birds should be explored.

Chickens can see infrared and ultraviolet light. I read an article some time ago (I saved it in my computer but I wasn't able to find it). You are definitely seeing signs of unrest during the night when the light turns on so I don't think it is a good idea to continue to use the light, it will be better to switch it for the radiant heater you mentioned.

First time chicken owner and as it's getting closer to winter, my installed heating system has started to go on during some of the colder nights. I know some people say that you don't need heating, but I just want to keep the inside of the coop above freezing so that the eggs don't freeze and keep them somewhat comfortable. I live in an area where there are rarely any power outages so I'm not too worried about irratic temprature changes. I've also read that the red lights are alright for the chickens and they can sleep through them. But when I go and check on them during the cold nights, they're roaming around and not on their roosts like normal. I've attached some pictures of the type of heater that's in the coop. Is this a different type of red light than the common ones used? I used this one since I had it around and thought with the temprature controlled outlet i wouldnt have to worry about it getting too hot. Its connected to an outlet that turns on at 2 degrees and off at 7. I'm thinking of changing it out for an oil filled radiant heater so there isn't any light since my chickens seem to be acting different on the nights that it turns on. I just dont want my chicks to become cannabilistic with too much light and no sleep. Would switching to the normal red lights be another option? Any input and wisdom from others would be greatly appreciated.

I put in a K and H large black fire proof heating pad next to my indoor roost. You can place this in your coop on a wall. I put mine up with Velcro or you can drill it in. Has wiring to protect cord. My connections are in a fireproof box. Same place heated base for poultry waterer is plugged into. My waterer is in run. I just plug it in when below 30 degrees. No lighting to impact birds.

Back
Top Bottom