1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Infuriating article in the Times today.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by m.kitchengirl, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not ridiculous, outrageous! Assuming the facts are even close to accurate, the license of the company should be revoked. Hope this goes to court.

2. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    That's just stupid on both sides.

Washing your hands of an animal like an innanimate object because you weren't satisfied with it, not making sure it would be recieved and cared for...

And then the seller sticking to the 3 day return policy without saying "OK, it's not working out.. we'll take her back at least for HER sake"...

It's just all around stupid.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    The communication factor is the big problem....the breeder I am very sure was "riding the time" out to refund the money. Something is screwy there.

If it matters to both parties, I hope there will be some reward on this. Was the new owner aware of the tendency of the disposition of the dog? Did they communicate how the dog will fit in the family?

$7500 is a lot of money for a GSD but I know Emmi was imported so that is why she cost so much. There is so much more than what the article is not giving out for the sake of paper space.

4. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
  5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:I wish my dog behaved that well!

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I think they are both wrong

And if I were spending that kind of crazy money on a dog - I sure as heck would be flying there myself to pick her up and make sure she was exactly as portrayed. Not saying the dog was bad, maybe it was the owner who didn't know how to care for the dog. Dunno

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I'm not a dog trainer, but I have owned a few over the years and I don't like the way the dog is allowed to jump up into the trainer and they way he trains them to go after that ball on a string. It just seems wrong to me........

If I were a new owner of that dog I would be afraid it was going to bite me. Or if kids were around the dog I would be afraid it would bite them trying to get the ball back. JMO

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    To me, the person who purchased that dog is a moron. You can tell from the videos that the dog is highly active, somewhat aggressive (evidenced by the fact she is nipping at the person while heeling and especially while running).

Someone (the purchaser) should have done more research into the breed, lines, temperament and conformation. I mean...really?

And I agree with the seller. The purchaser threw a temper tantrum. I really hope there is an iron clad policy in the contract, otherwise the sellers will probably be strongarmed into giving the money back which the purchaser does NOT deserve to be given back. I mean, really? You never meet this dog, expect it to be perfect, knowing that you probably cannot speak the type of German that this dog knows and is used to.

Ridiculous...

9. MaureenC

MaureenC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Pips I was thinking the same thing. I have had 2 gsd and I would not like that dog's aggressiveness at all. She kept lunging for the treat in the handler's fist like she was going to bite. Not good... But I've never imported one from Germany either - maybe that's acceptable there idk...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by