Ingredients in Medicated Chick Starter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by billfields, May 20, 2011.

1. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Went to the Co-op store today to pick up some chick starter. I've been using small 5 lb bags but a larger 25 lb or so would be a lot cheaper in the long run. The small bags say "medicated" on them. The larger ones did not but the guy in the store assured me they were and told me "look at the ingredient list". Well that was pretty useless as I didn't know what I was looking for in the ingredient list! [​IMG] The list on the two bags had the same things but in different percentage. And I don't know if the medication in medicated food even shows up on the ingredient list. So I got one more small bag that says it's medicated right on it and came home to ask y'all for enlightenment. Should not any bag of medicated food say pretty clearly on it somewhere that it's medicated without having to rely on ingredient list? And if you do have to go by the list, what is it I'm looking for an din what amount? And how long should I feed the medicated food anyway?

Thanks!

Bill

(edited for spelling)

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

First, congratulations on buying larger bags. Next, you'll move up to 50 pounders.

You are likely looking for amprollium or something similar. The counter guy might have just been blowing smoke. Starter comes in both medicated and non-medicated and usually, the label on the front is pretty clear which it is. Most folks, if they feed medicated, do so for 6-9 weeks.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. billfields

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Fred's Hens :

First, congratulations on buying larger bags. Next, you'll move up to 50 pounders.

You are likely looking for amprollium or something similar. The counter guy might have just been blowing smoke. Starter comes in both medicated and non-medicated and usually, the label on the front is pretty clear which it is. Most folks, if they feed medicated, do so for 6-9 weeks.

Thanks. I thought the guy was just trying to sell chicken feed too. Seems to me if it is medicated it should say it's medicated. It's like asking someone to read the ingredients to find out if the milk they're buying is chocolate or not!

So 6 more weeks...and in the first three they ate 4 1/5 5 lb bags...yep, I need a 25 pounder!​

4. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I have the same concern. The medications in mine are Oxytetracycline and something called Methionine? How is this helpful for Coccis?

5. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    The guy at my local feed store actually discouraged me from buying the medicated feed. This guy raises his own chickens all the way. He doesn't buy chicks. Anyway, he told me that unless you have a quite large flock it is really not necessary. He's been doing this for years and has never had a problem.

Personally, I agree with him. Why treat them for an illness they don't have. In humans, when we take antibiotics too much or incorrectly we actually build immunities to them. This is why we have more and more "superbugs" that they are having more and more difficult time treating. My mother died from MRSA 3 1/2 years ago. So, my attitude is if they're not sick I'm not going to treat them as though they are. I keep everything in their brooder (now coop) quite clean. Check their water and feed frequently to be sure they have not contaminated it with poo. I don't let them pick/scratch in under-composted materials etc.

I am not saying that if someone uses medicated feed they're wrong. I just don't and I've stated MY reasons.

Just one guy's opinion.[​IMG]

6. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    Medicated is not good for duck's.

7. billfields

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I looked at both sides before I got the chicks both about vaccines and medicated food. In the end I think of it kinda like giving a kid vaccines or vitamins. You do it when they are well so they stay that way. (And I know that's a whole other debate which I don't want to open [​IMG] ) but I sure understand why some people don't want to vaccinate their chickens or use medicated feed.

But....

To use it or not really wasn't my question. My question was whether or not all medicate feed is clearly marked as such on the bag. Feed store guy told me that a bag that said nowhere that it was medicated was---his explanation was that you had to read ingredients to know. I thought all medicated feed was labeled. If he is right it works both ways. You could well go in and get a bag of feed that says nowhere on it (apart from the ingredient list) that it is medicated when in fact it is. And like I said before, I would have no idea what to look for in the ingredient list to tell me if it is medicate or not.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If it's a local feed, it's possible they use a generic bag for all of their feeds and then the label sewn into the bottom of the bag tells you exactly what's in the bag. This is the case with our local mill.

Now, there are several coccidiostats out there and you're right that it can be a pain to know what is what when you're standing in front of the bags and looking at the labels without a reference manual.

Here is part of an article I found helpful:
    Mature chickens develop a resistance to coccidiosis if allowed to contract a mild infection of the disease. Birds raised for placement in the laying flocks are fed a coccidiostat feed until about 16 weeks of age. The medicated feed is then replaced with a nonmedicated feed. Spotty outbreaks of the disease can be controlled by treating in the water with an appropriate coccidiostat. Examples of coccidiostats added to the ration include Monensin sodium, Lasalocid, Amprolium, and Salinomycin.

Antibiotics may also be added to some poultry feeds. Antibiotics aid broiler performance and maintain healthy birds. They are usually added at low (prophylactic) levels to prevent minor diseases and produce faster, more efficient growth. Higher (therapeutic) levels are usually given in water or injected into the bird. Examples of antibiotics fed in the feed are Penicillin, Bacitracin, Chlortetracycline, and Oxytetracycline.​

9. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Yeah, I hear you. I don't care what anyone does when it comes to vaccinated v. non-vaccinated or medicated v. non-medicated. Everyone has to do what they feel is right for THEM and their girls.

As for labeling, I have never seen medicated feed that was not clearly marked. Personally, I would not buy it if it does not clearly say 'medicated'. It sounds like the clerk at the store really did not know his stuff. That is one way in which we are blessed in my area. The folks at the feed store are experienced owners and breeders themselves so they are a fount of wisdom.

I hope everything works our awesome for you. [​IMG]

10. billfields

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I've looked at both the Co-op and Tractor Supply stores. Both have small 5 lb bags from MannaPro that clearly say medicated. Can't find anything bigger at either place that does. I may check out a couple of other places today. It seems pointless to spend money on these little bags if I could buy a 25 lb one for the cost of 2 small ones but I can't believe that the big bag wouldn't be labeled too.

Debid, thanks for that information...I'll print it off and take it with me.

Bil

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by