Ingredients in moist canned mealworms....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TwoCrows, May 23, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am wondering if anyone knows EXACTLY what is in these cans of moist meal worms and if any of you have had trouble feeding them. I have been buying canned mealworms on line from Drs Foster Smith, the brand is "Bird Watchers Choice". They are not alive, but have been originally dried and have been "Packed in their own juices". This is what I want to know. What exactly IS their own juices? I have googled this to death and there is no information out there.

The reason I want to know is, I had been buying them for my quail and over this past winter, one of my girls seems to get sick after I feed them to her. (She can eat the dried ones however, without these juices.) Needless to say she is not allowed to have any more of the wet ones, however the other quail seem to be fine eating them.

I recently bought more for my new chickens, having never fed these to them, and now I am a fraid to feed them, not knowing what exactly is in these things. Is it possible my little quail has an allergy to "these juices"? What is in this can?? ANY information would be appreciated. Thanks...Leyla [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Why not feed live ones? I would think it would be more "fun" for the chickens?

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I always thought it meant the fluids from their bodies that leak out during processing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by