Ingrown feather or worm?

Aug 18, 2020
One of my girls hasn’t laid in a few days so I decided to give her a warm bath just to be on the safe side. I’m not too concerned as it’s just been a couple of days and shes getting older (4). Anyways, I was drying her off when I found this lovely surprise.
A062D885-E80C-44E5-94EE-5BD276FFAE3C.jpeg

It’s below her vent and looks like a white worm. She’s still acting like her spunky self and seems normal otherwise. Does anyone have any clue what it is? Thanks in advance!
(Also, those aren’t mites….she has speckled feathers and had just taken a dust bath)

Last edited:
I took a closer look tonight and the whole feather is covered with a pretty thick layer of skin. I tried to bring it to the surface with some tweezers but was unsuccessful. Should I try again with the tweezers or are there any other methods?

Hello! I would try to exfoliate the place where the feather is growing from, see if you can expose the shaft there so you can pull it out. You're going to have to repeat quite a few times.

Thanks! I was able to get it out today by exposing the shaft slowly. The feather had grown in a spiral and since it was was completely under her skin, I had to expose the skin surrounding the whole thing which left a pretty big wound. I disinfected the area but should I be concerned about an infection since the wound is under her vent or is it nothing to worry about?

Back
Top Bottom