Ingrown Feathers? Now with pictures!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Knittycat, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I posted this on the managing your flock board a couple of weeks ago and got no response, so I'll try here.

My chickens have been victims of a bully. Now that the feather plucking bully is gone they are starting to re-grow their feathers. One of my girls had a bare butt. I've noticed that as her butt fluff was growing back in, there were a couple of places that looked like she had ingrown feathers. I caught her and lanced the skin over the feather, and a small drop of clear liquid came out and out rolled a half formed feather.
    Today I noticed a couple more and I caught her and did the same thing, only this time instead of a clear liquid, it looked like the feathers were coated in a waxy substance.

Is this normal? Will her feathers grow out normally, or do I need to continue to intervene?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Anybody?

3. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    So, I take it that nobody had encountered this before?

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Never heard of it - but this will give you a boost back up! One other thing..when you post a question, try to wait at least 24 hours before posting a "response" to your question. You need to give everyone a chance to see the question and so many are working - and not on here more than once a day. Many people also do a search for questions that haven't been answered - so if you've posted a "reply" to your own question, they will never see it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I bumped it once it fell of the first page, and then again today.

6. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    No biggie... it's just that people are more likely to look at a post that has "0" replies so far. Someone pointed that out to me a few months back and I had never thought of it!

7. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Ah, I see. Well, I'd had no replies the last time either. Kinda frustrating. It looks like she's got another one developing on her hind end. I guess I'll have to cut that one open too. At least she's not bleeding or struggling when I'm lancing the skin over the feathers.

8. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Could you take pictures and post them?? Might help!

9. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    It's a bit tricky to hold a chicken under one arm and take a picture of her butt with the other...but I'll try!

Or I could ask the hubby. "Hey honey, will you take a picture for me?" "sure! what of?" "this chicken's butt" [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  10. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Ok, here's the picture of the bumps. The two bumps are circled and you can see a bit of feather coming out of one. I started to lance that one, but the chicken started to bleed a little bit (that's the first time that happened) so I let it be for now. It's much smaller and less pronounced than the other ones I lanced. They were quite large and you could see the feather dimly through the skin.

Additionally, what's with the 'hairs'?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by