Ingrown silkie foot feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gothicangelnico, Jan 29, 2013.

1. gothicangelnico

gothicangelnico Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Utah
    Ugh every silkie breeder I have spoken to has NEVER had this issue. Little poppycock started getting ingrown feathers when they started developing so I would have to sit down and use a pin and sometimes tweezers to get them out. He always seemed so refreshed when I got them to come out. Well a month or so ago he was getting them again and they were getting infected and he had them growing in these lumps that looked like tumors. So I numbed his poor feet with ice water and wrapped him up in a towel and proceeded to do minor surgery. He was doing better but today one of the lumps was back. And once again...off to surgery.This time after slicing I heated up the razor with the lighter and used that to stop the bleeding. He is now happy in his little pen inside.

2. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor thing. I feel so sorry for him and for you. I'm glad he is doing better though. I was just wondering if this may be the problem for someone else on here I just read a few minutes ago, who had a swollen red foot (really swollen), I noticed in the picture that the chicken had feathers on it's feet also, and they were sticking straight out, you really couldn't tell very good about the picture, but I had a feeling to ask her if it might be an infected feather folicle, but I didn't. But it does look like a terrible infection. Could you go and look at the picture and see if her problem might be the same as yours? She is really in desprate need of help, and I know her ("Sally Mae" I think was the chicken's name), could really use some relief. Thanks, and so glad you were able to handle your surgery, I hope I never have to try to do anything like this, I really don't think I could. [​IMG] I think her post was "Is this bumblefoot, and what do I do?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by