Inheirited coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jenandnaomi, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Jenandnaomi

Jenandnaomi In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Eugene OR
    We just moved to a new house with an existing chicken coop. Is there any specific maintenance or cleaning I should do before purchasing a new flock?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

If you have access to a pressure washer, I'd use that and wash the whole thing, (including roosts, nest boxes, feeders, waterers, etc.) then spray it with diluted bleach solution, THEN spray it with Poultry Protector or something to kill any mites or critters that you don't want around. Let everything dry well, add fresh dry shavings, and voila! Ready for habitation!

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Check for holes that predators might be able to get into, make sure you have the basic supplies (feed, water/feed bowls, etc) and have at it!

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Songster

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    if its a walk in coop... dont hose it down. i did and i flooded the place.. plus it smells twice as bad.. just sweep it.. scrape any poop.. add shavings and clean roosts and feeders.. bam! ur ready [​IMG]

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I would still at least spray it with diluted bleach to kill whatever may be hiding in the crevices...

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:X2! Although if it hasn't been occupied in awhile I doubt there would be anything to worry about. Still better safe than sorry!

Good luck to you and welcome to the insane addiction!

7. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    oh, and go ahead and start planning the expansion....no way to avoid it....it's hopeless...

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I shake DE everywhere once a week or so, so I want to add that to what the others said!!

9. mcostas

mcostas Chirping

Aug 2, 2010
    Iheartchicks<3[​IMG] :

if its a walk in coop... dont hose it down. i did and i flooded the place.. plus it smells twice as bad.. just sweep it.. scrape any poop.. add shavings and clean roosts and feeders.. bam! ur ready [​IMG]

Try blowing it dry with a leaf blower. I do that sometimes with these kinds of things.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: