1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Inherited equipment from Charlie, what to do now though (Pics added)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, May 24, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Our dear friend Charlie left all his hatching equipment to me. There is two huge cabinet incubators that are just too big for us to use in the classroom and I don't have the appropriate area at home either. He left us his brooders, cages, just everything; and now I'm at a loss of what to do. His son said maybe I should sell the big ones and buy ones we can use but then I feel like not quite right about that.
    He thought about us right to the end and tried to do something really nice for us. Would it be wrong to sell them and get something else? I honestly don't have a clear mind about this, it seems wrong to sell them but we can't really use them properly since we don't hatch that many at one time.
    K

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I didn't know Charlie but, from your posts I would bet he would rather you sell them and use the money to get some the size you need rather than leave them sit somewhere collecting dust. Remember that the new bators will still be a gift from him as you used the money from the huge ones.

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you Kitty, I think in the back of my mind I know that, but my heart just feels like I'd be selling Charlie. I'm going to take pics of some of the equipment and see if folks on here can help with identifying the make and maybe getting instructions for them.

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

You should donate them to a local a local agricultrual group.

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:That would be a great idea under different circumstances. Charlie knew we didn't have the money to purchase incubating equipment and he knew how much I've spent this year buying 3 styrofoam incubators as we could. We need equipment, just not this big and this much. You have to remember it is being used in a classroom, a portable, that doesn't have a lot of space available. I have to figure out a way for this to help our school and community project.

6. Colored Egg Farmer

You got 2 right.... give one away and sell one [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    He left those things to you because he knew you would find a use for them. Selling them is using them to buy something you can handle and satisfy your needs. I think he wouldn't mind at all if you sold them and used the procedes for other hatching equipment.

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm going to post pics of the two cabinets,, one is an incubator I'm not sure of the other now, it has different style racks, they slide in and out and don't see-saw like the other one. The metal brooder thing I know we can use, but the brooder on wheels will be donated elsewhere because we have no place big enough to store that sucker.

9. Colored Egg Farmer

what are the brand names?

10. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:I don't know, I think Sportsman but I don't know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by