Inherited Feather Missing Chickens with a Coop? - Disease or Stress?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jt673, Aug 30, 2010.

1. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    We have 7 baby BA's that we just bought a Chicken Coop for from CL. The coop came with a flock of hens. There are about 3 or 4 of the 12 who are missing feathers down to the skin around their tales, back and top of their wings. In letting them out of the coop once it was in place, I noticed a few who are fully feathered picking on the ones who are missing feathers. Are the missing feathers a sign of disease, stress or were they just bullied from being too cramped in coop that should have had half the number of the flock in there!?

The guy delivered it to us, so we did not know the condition of the birds until they arrived. We already had plans of getting a new home for them, as they would naturally bully the babies when they are old enough to go into the coop.

Should we worry of contamination and bleach everything? Get rid of the birds, treat them? Is there something to treat in the first place or were they just stressed and picked on? [​IMG]

Thanks for your advice!

2. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    I am betting on stressed and picked on! I know you will keep an eye out for any other symptoms, but sounds like care and room to roam will be the cure. [​IMG]

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Just to be safe, make sure they do not mix with your current flock. Hopefully it is just feather picking due to stress and cramped living conditions.

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    probably cannabilism caused by boredom/ lack of space/ and lack of protein.

feed them lots of hardboiled eggs, layer mash, corn, fresh greens (NO avocado) etc... i would also spray some vet RX on the birds to prevent illness and boost their immunities, and see if your local feed store sells a product called Rooster Booster, its an anti pick ointment, put it on the bird's whove been picked on on the bare skin and that should discourage picking.

5. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Thank you! You can only imagine how horrified we were when we saw the poor little things to their bare skin. We didn't know if they were sick, going to infect our chicks, and our ducks who's run is close to the coop. It was good to see that they were eating immediately, but it was looking like a soon to be bleach party was in order.

I will try boosting their immune system with foods. Should I put something down in the grass around the coop or where I let them free range to be on the safe side for our ducks who are close by the coop and our chicks?

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by