Inhertied Banty Roo of unknown lineage.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HorseSlave, Oct 22, 2013.

1. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    [​IMG]

So I took over a barn and it came with this rooster. He originally had 2 girlfriends, but they died soon after, which was about 4 years ago. So he's been a lonely guy without a name. Now he's Col. Sanders, but still lonely. And obviously skittish, hence the sorry picture quality.

I will be building a hoop coop soon, and want to find him some ladies, but I'd like to find some of his own breed.

I have absolutely no illusions about him ever using the coop, he happily sleeps with the horses, but he could at least go on a few dates with the new girls when they can eventually roam the yard. And since he has survived this long on his own and recently survived pneumonia without help (not at all by my choice, mind you), I figure he would hopefully pass on some of those hearty genes.

He looks a lot like a Dutch Bantam, but his breast is white instead of black. He also has yellow legs instead of the slate colouring. My best guess is that he's a Tractor Supply mixed bantam bin special.

Thanks for any help, and for tolerating the eyestrain from the blurry picture.

2. HorseSlave

Oct 22, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Also, I apparently can't spell inherited. Facepalm.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Col. Sanders sounds like he has led an adventurous life so far, bet he will appreciate a few girlfriends. TSC sells a lot of Old English Game bantams and some of the hatcheries sell them in like 60 colors.

4. HorseSlave

Oct 22, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    So he might be an off colour then? I've been digging around here and elsewhere and haven't seen anyone else exactly of the same colour. Does anyone have any good links with bantam pics? Haven't found anything all that great.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://oegclub.com/photographs is the link to the OEG clubs photographs, and Cackle http://www.cacklehatchery.com/oegbantams.htm has some pictures of real birds They are mostly of show birds and mostly dubbed, the TSC ones won't look quite like that as they are usually pet quality. Color wise, the OEGs have so many colors and if you get into mixing colors, who knows what you could wind up with.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. HorseSlave

Oct 22, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Still no matches, but some close colours. I think I might mess around with different feather patterns. I love the d'uccle pattern.

Also, thank you for the warm welcomes.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I'm sure he would be very happy to have some female company again after so long :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by