Injectable B12 for wry neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Utahchickendiva, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Utahchickendiva

Utahchickendiva New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    I found great information about how to treat wry neck here on BYC and my hen is improving a little bit every day. I've been hand feeding her electrolytes, diluted egg yolk, poly-vi-sol, and B12 injections but wondered for how long I should give the injections. I'm giving her 1/2 CC once a day but it seems like a lot. This is my first round of chicken-doctoring and I'm anxious about doing it wrong.

While she's improving, her head is still twisted straight backward and she can't stay on her feet so she's on her side other than the times I hold her for feedings. The only think I haven't tried is the Vitamin E with solinium (sp) it seemed like there were two minds on whether that was effective or not, anyone have any specific experience with that? Thanks.

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    b12 is a water soluble vitamin, so overdose is not a concern. The water soluble vitamins will be excreted out if not used. Usually, in sick cats, we use it once weekly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by