Injectable Penicilin Dosage?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brahmabreeder, Feb 14, 2013.

1. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    What is the dosage and how long should I give it to them it? They have a staph infection in their feet according to the vet and I already washed their feet and changed their bedding. I just have yet to find out the dosage on the penicillin.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If its bumblefoot, you'll need to get the plug out.

As for penicillin dosage, I believe it's .01 cc for every pound of bird weight. As for how often, that seems to vary. (Or at least ive found conflicting information on it) I gave a rooster 6 cc's a day for 3 days in a row.

Edited to correct error.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oh and a 25 gauge needle works fine - give it in the breast muscle on the left side (away from the crop)

4. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
  5. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Did they mean .01 cc per pound do you think?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  7. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    So 1/4 cc per brahma per day?

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Whoops, yes.

9. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I treated my English orpington with the long lasting penicillin. Also , look up posts on tricide neo, I did 10 min soaks after I found this post and it made a huge difference in recovery time, the soak solution lasts around 5 or 7 days and i put it into a lidded container that i could put the feet in but the butts hung over to keep the solution clean,a sorbet container. i also cleaned the feet before soaking to keep the soak sol. clean. Do not stop shots and soaks until the infection it GONE--3 days is usually not enough time--it took me 6 weeks. When using the vet wrap smooth down only--Do not pull at all. If the scab has any size to it, remove it and look for a encapsulation plug to remove--it will not heal until that is removed. My husband did the surgery, but there was no plug, in one ( size of a nickel) and one had a tiny scab(size of a pencil lead) so she did not need surgery. Wear gloves!! I washed my hands with the gloves on then took them off to dry or I would have gone through a entire box. I bought my birds with bumblefoot unknowingly, so look around for what might be causing it, roosts too high, litter not deep enough or not soft enough, sharp protrusions etc..

10. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Well I'm not giving the penicillin now because once I figured out the dosage and that I could overdose SUPER easily, I was too afraid of killing my flock. While in search of something else I could use in the meantime I found something. It was Gallimycin which has erythromycin in it and that is labeled to treat staph. Now since I have that drug I'll just give them that for a week and then re-worm them soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by