Injectable Tylan 50 Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Noraida, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Noraida

Noraida New Egg

Aug 4, 2015
    Hi! I am new chicken owner of 6 chickens, 8-12 months old, Delaware, Red & Black Stars and Buff. I asked a friend that owns hundreds of chickens what I should give my chickens for their sneezing, water nose & eyes and rattling congestion. She told me to give them Injectable Tylan 50, 1.5cc but orally. And ONLY the first day and then put .5cc in 1 gallon of water for then next 4 days. Has anyone heard of this way to dispense? I have googled and I cannot find anywhere. Please help. Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ge-of-tylan-50-for-turkey-bantam-std-chickens

Here is a good post with some dosage information for using the injectable Tylan 50 orally. post #6

I started using Tylan 50 the other day for my sick ones and they seemed to feel way better the next day, but I did inject them. I know they say if you use the injectable orally you use a little more due to it not absorbing as readily. I will see if I can find you some more info on putting it in the drinking water.

I think everyone does things a little differently, so long as you aren't overdosing them by a large amount, or underdosing them, I think you should be fine. I personally like injecting better, but that is because I know all of it made it into their body. I am thinking about mixing some tylan in the water of my smallest chicks that need it. I gave them a shot last night and they are so small that I really was not comfortable doing it again tonight. I need to find the tylan drinking water recipe myself, so when I get it, i will post it here for you!!

3. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    Ok so this is what I have found:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/792814/can-i-put-tylan-50-injectable-in-water

Post # 3 by Eggcessive. Looks like I will just be squirting it down the little ones throats, or getting some more syringes on my way home. I really hate to give those poor babies more shots. i cannot find the water soluble tylan around here. The only thing I found was ONE bottle of Tylan 50 injectable.

Hope this helps!!

4. Noraida

Noraida New Egg

Aug 4, 2015
    This helps so much, thank you.

5. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    You are welcome, glad I could help!! [​IMG]

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC!

If I ever need to use it I will give 0.5cc per *pound* orally twice a day for 5 days. No offense to your friend, but putting that amount of Tylan in the water makes no sense to me. Heck, is it even water soluble?

-Kathy

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Okay, just looked it up and it does appear to be water soluble, but I can guarantee you that putting 0.5cc (25mg) in a gallon of water will do absolutely nothing. :D

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    According to the makers of Tylan, the drinking water dose is 2000mg per gallon.

-Kathy

9. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    It also sounds to me like you would get more bang for your buck just giving it orally (or injected) as opposed to mixing it in the water. They more than likely wont drink it all and you will have to toss it at the end of the day. Also, some drink more than others, and the sick ones dont drink that much, so how can you be sure they are actually getting enough when you mix it?!?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You are correct! To make one gallon would take 40ml and then they might not drink it. I say weigh them and give by weight twice a day. :D

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by