Injectibles for euathanasia

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Michael Apple, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Well, I had to put General Beauregard, my Cuckoo Maran rooster down today after a long bout with progressive leg paralysis. After a few months of nursing him along and trying different treatments, I believed it was Mareks, so had a couple shots of Demerol and decided to use it. It didn't sedate him. I was hoping to sedate him and get him peaceful instead of just suddenly wringing the neck like I have in the past. It is difficult to do with animals you care for and develop a bond with. I usually get in a trance after I put one down. I have a hard time with it. I had to wring his neck either way. I gave him an honorable burial. Has anyone had experience with injectibles and which ones were effective for sedation or quick, painless death? I'm having difficulty wringing necks anymore and vets gouge you. Thanks in advance.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I use a .22 bullet to the head. It's cheap, quick, and painless.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Euthanasia medications are controlled substances so its a vet or another means other than an injectible.

I'm sure there is something that you could legally buy and overdose the bird on but I don't know of anything that would be painless.

Sorry for the loss, it seems like you really cared about this bird.

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Yeah. Not sure about the painless part. I prefer to use bullets for predators. Anyway, the question was regarding injectables, not caliber choice and point of entry.

5. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks.

6. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

So sad for you're having to do this. The reason vets can gouge people is because of people like me who can't do any of these things. I hope I am never faced with a task like that. Sorry for you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by