Injried Baby Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmLady, Feb 9, 2008.

1. FarmLady

FarmLady New Egg

Feb 9, 2008
    We have an "early" chick , hatched 2 days before every one else. He's the runt of the group plus it appears that his middle toe on the right is broken / mis-formed. He is eating and drinking, But he hobbles along and is very unsteady.
    I don't know if he is in pain. But does love to be held wrapped in our hands.
    Is this something that he may out grow?
    If it was one of the older birds I would do asprin.. what can you give a baby?
    Or .... have a rough time with doing a humane act... but will if that is the wisest.

Thank you for any help

BTW .. He's a backyard bantam .. not sure what because that group free ranges

Patti

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    is the toe crooked like this )

3. FarmLady

FarmLady New Egg

Feb 9, 2008
    I tried a photo... can you see the problem

[​IMG]

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I had that problem with a few of my birds. What I did was take some card board pieces and cut them into strips. Then I used bandaids to keep them on the foot. It works

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's exactly what you...
    It's a hatching defect...I had a hen that had only one straight toe and she got around fine.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I don't see anything wrong with that chick's feet. I would give it a couple days. It could still be getting it's feet under him and blood flow will improve the more it moves around.

Jody

7. FarmLady

FarmLady New Egg

Feb 9, 2008
    Thanks very much for all of your input, I feel much more positive now.
    We're going to keep an eye on him for a couple of days to watch for any changes / improvements. It not, we'll try the cardboard splint.
    We've been lucky, Little Peep is the first one that showed any problem.
    I guess I got a bit over anxious.

Thanks again!

[​IMG] Patti

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by