injuered chicken on the mend started wheezing, snoring, and kicking at her chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by susie125, Feb 3, 2013.

1. susie125

susie125 New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    i have a americana hen that was attaked by a dog a week ago and lost her right wing. since then i have been keeping her in my house in a pack-n-play. i have been changing her bandage 3 times a day and puting terra-vet 10 in her water , hard boiled egg yolk in her food along witha spoon full of yogurt and mixing in some medicated chick feed. she hasnt laid an egg in a few days but i figured that this was because she has gone partly broody, sitting on her eggs for hours then getting bord and leaving them unattended for the same amount of time. i have been putting Blue coat on her wound along with some neosoren and rapping it loosly with gauze.
    last night she she looked unconfortable walking around the pen kicking at her chest and laying down for a second just to get up and lay some where else. she final went to sleep and she started snoring. this morning when i went to feed her she was breathing through her mouth and making a wheezing sound she was also scrating her head. i have no idea what else to do and i cant aford to take her to the vet. her attitude is the same and right now she is trying to get out of my hands and walk around just like usual.
    there is some purple on her beak from her trying to get the bandage off ang getting some blue coat on it. any ideas or suggestions on what to do?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm so sorry. It sounds like you are doing alot for her. How are you wrapping gauze to cover the wound? I'm wondering if she is starting to get a respiratory problem because of being wrapped. Years ago if you broke your ribs, they would wrap to support only to discover that people would then get pneumonia. Now broken ribs are better left without wrapping to avoid respiratory problems. Also is the neosporin with pain killer in it? If so, STOP using as anything with "cain" is toxic to chickens. There is a regular neosporin that has no pain killer in it and it is safe for chickens. She may be better without wrapping the wound, just keep it clean and keep using topical medicines. If the hen is old enough to lay eggs, she should be getting layer formula along with medicated feed. Good Luck.

3. susie125

susie125 New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    i stopped wrapping it a few days ago when she kept taking it off... it wasnt even realy raped it was loosly tyed around it to keep the shaving out and the blue coat on....the neospoen i was using did not have any pain med in it but i ran out and had to get more, after your post i looked and saw the one i had just bought does have pain med and i have been using it a few days but i read all the ingredients before i used it and it didnt say any with cain in it so i thought it was ok.. its the neo to go kind.....i will definatly stop using it
    there is layer formula along with the medicated feed
    since i last posted she has gotten mutch worse were now she make week peeping nousis inbetween each breath. i am holding her in my lap in a blanket is there any other idea you may have? any thing else i can do?

4. susie125

susie125 New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    just so i know for the future does one of thes have cain hidden in it? Benzalkonium Chloride Pramoxine Hydrochloride they are the active ingredients in neosporen

5. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm sorry to hear it's doing worse. I think it's time to start giving it antibiotics by injection. Here is a link that down part way will give info on safe pain meds for chickens and dosage and how to for giving shots. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry treating the bird with Oxine AH with a vaporizer would help but by the time you ordered it and got it - it might be too late. Do you have Vick's and a vaporizer - like used for children? Sorry I don't know what else to suggest. Good Luck.

6. susie125

susie125 New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    i do have vicks ... were do i put it she is a very nousie girl and even now has purple on her beak from trying to figure out what that werd stuff called blue coat was that i keep spraying on her side... everytime i applie it i have to hold her head to the side in order to do so.
    thank you for the advice it has been very helpful.

7. susie125

susie125 New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    a few minutes ago the worst happened ...... looking for other things i could posible be i came across a posting about chickens that were egg bound and she seamed to match the description. not sure if this was it i desided just to try a warm bath not thinking it would hurt her current condition and if it might help i was willing to try. i thought i felt an egg that might be stuck and put her in the warm water and started massaging.... the warm water seemed to make it worse so i took her out and wraped her in a towel and started to dry her off. suddenly she started making this noise like a vary loud sneeze. the "sneezing" got louder and closer together. her whole body began to do it also. it was clear she wasnt getting any air. i didnt know what to do. seconds latter she died.

thanks for trying to help... i didnt feel so alone

8. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm so sorry[​IMG]. She had a very serious injury and she may have had internal injuries that were unknown. Just know that you really did try everything you could to help.

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It sounds like she may have developed pneumonia because of a lack of movement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by