Injured 2 month old. Attacked by racoon.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sallihennipenni, Jun 6, 2011.

1. sallihennipenni

sallihennipenni Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Central Illinois
    A racoon got in our run three days ago. Killed one chicken and injured another. Luckily I was just going out to put the "girls" to bed and scared him away before he did any more damage. The injured chick is a Black Australorp. She was stunned....probably in shock when I found her. She had/has no wounds that I can find but hardly uses her right leg. She seems to be getting to her food and water but does little else that requires her to move. She seems alert. Any idea what could be wrong with her? I have examined her leg and can see no injury like a break. Certainly no open wounds. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    if it is not broken i would give her a couple days. if the coon grabbed her he could have pulled a muscle or jerked it to make it sore/
    Sorry about your loss. i lost 14 Silkies yesterday to a weasel..... soooo sad [​IMG]

3. sallihennipenni

Jun 6, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Thanks Silkie Sue. I'll give it more time. Don't know what else to do.

I'm truly sorry about your Silkies! I didn't know weasels would kill that many!! How very sad.[​IMG]

4. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Give it time..... I had a dog attack on Friday and have a girl in the bathtub... She has obvious injuries, but stayed hunkered down and didn't move much for the first 2 days...
    I added some electrolytes (and antibiotics in her case) to her water, gave her yogurt with baby aspirin to help with the pain.

She is now doing much better... Keep her still and keep an eye on it.

I'm a newbie, but that is my advice from my experience.

5. sallihennipenni

Jun 6, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Thanks for the good advice flnatv. I'm not only new to chickens but I've not had much experience with animals period. Where do you get antibiotics and how do you know correct dosage, etc...? Yes, I'm a REAL newbie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by