Injured 3 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mitch1114, Apr 19, 2019.

1. mitch1114

mitch1114 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2018
    I had a 3 week old get its leg pinched between a board and the wall. It's not moving around just sitting there. Not making any noise either, but when I tried to look at its leg it pulled it away and started chirping. What should I do? There is no visible injury.

2. I would separate it, where it could stay warm, but not get trampled by anyone else. Give it food and water [add some vitamins/electrolytes in the water if you have it] where it can reach it easily, without having to walk or hop to go get it. And just let it rest for awhile.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. microchick

microchick Crossing the Road

You might want to give it some electrolytes. Injuries can cause shock. So you don't have to handle an injured bird too much you can mix some electrolyte laced water with some scrambled eggs. My 3 week old chicks love scrambled eggs.

If it is pulling the leg away it has movement in the leg. I would try to get a good look at it to make sure that there aren't fractures or open wounds to deal with. Get help if you need. Wrap baby in a towel and cover it's head to calm it.

You can give aspirin for pain but I don't know the dosage for such a young bird.

@casportpony or @Wyorp Rock may know.

Try not to worry. Birds are remarkably resilient.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Wyorp Rock and Sequel like this.
  4. mitch1114

mitch1114 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2018
    For electrolytes, would pedialyte work?

Sequel and microchick like this.
  5. microchick

It should work in a pinch. You can also make your own. I believe there is a thread about it here on BYC.

Sequel likes this.
  6. mitch1114

mitch1114 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2018
    I found a recipe somewhere else online and just gave her some. We have 11 baby chicks. The other 10 are all huddled together in one corner of the brooder. She's all by herself. I also put some food right in front of her. Hopefully she makes it through the night. This is our 4th year with chickens, but I've never had one get hurt before.

microchick likes this.
  7. mitch1114

mitch1114 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2018
    Well she made it through the night. My 6 yr old came in, very excited, saying that all of the chicks were walking around. Is there anything else I should do for her, or just keep an eye on her?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    So is she doing better? Able to walk around o.k.?
    If she's up and moving, eating/drinking I would just keep an eye on her.

As for your question about the Pedialyte - yes, you can use that for electrolytes. A little watered down Gatorade can also be used. Electrolytes are usually given no more than the first 12-24hrs after injury, shock, heat stroke, etc. They are not meant for "long term" use because of sugar/salt content. Something I like to keep on hand is poultry vitamins. Poultry Nutri-Drench is good to have for chicks or you can also use something like Poultry Cell - both can be given directly. For a small chick - 1-2drops given 2 times a day.

microchick and Eggcessive like this.
  9. microchick

Thanks for joining in @Wyorp Rock.

Fantastic news that the little one is doing better this morning. I too would just make sure and keep an eye on her. I would also do a 'safety check' of the brooder they are in to make sure there aren't any hazards that might cause future problems.

We just rescued and adopted 5-4 month old Australian Cattle dog pups from a puppy mill. You learn real quickly what they can get into if left to their own devices and what it takes to 'puppy proof' a house. Same goes with chickens.

Often I look around the run and coops outside and the brooder that is inside and try to see the surroundings from a chicken's POV. Even my older birds can occasionally find something to get into that they shouldn't so I know it's hard if not impossible to cover all the bases.

Hope the little one continues to improve.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  10. mitch1114

mitch1114 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2018
    She got hurt because one of my kids pushed up against the brooder and moved it. She got caught when he was trying to push it back against the wall. The brooder is three pieces of plywood screwed together. The 4th side is a wall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: